Author Topic: SP:P Robot Soc. Q  (Read 3598 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SP:P Robot Soc. Q
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
1) In SM:P robots in geneal work off the money paid to build them but what do they do after they have paid off thier debt?

2) I am in general thinking about Naval droids who have some loyalty programing built into them and asking my self where do they all go or what do they spend thier money on?

Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: SP:P Robot Soc. Q
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
They do whatever they want, just like other people.  Most of them probably stay in the military.  They likely enjoy it.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »
They would probably spend their money on upgrades and ways to expand their knowledge of the world around them. Of course since they were original build to serve one purpose, it might be harder for them to change their ways (programing) than standard skinbags.

I would actually be surprised if there wasnt some kind of loyalty programing installed, at least so the bot doesnt turn on it`s previous "owners", employers and makers. This of course might be scrambled through damage and so on, hell even reversed.

one might wonder what values and goals does an AI, Android and other sentient existances have beyond self-preservation. Would it seek to doublicate itself, much like the biologicals around it or something entirely different which would seem obscure and directly uncomprehensableby (Meta)humanity. I am sure that even if a bot is programed for one task, given it`s AI capabilities it can build up some byzantine plots in the end.

Oh which leads to me to one question, is there a way for Bots in SM to transfer themselves to a new "host" to prolong their existance or is the time limit final?
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:57:25 AM »
 First Thanks All for your responces:
  I thought of this question while reading through the SM:P vehicle comp and robatic comp and thinking about my new setting.

Defendi,
 That is what I was thinking they stay with what they know or maybe jump ship to armed merchants, merc's ships or ships going into harms way. I was thinking about having many goverments in my setting so thier would be a problem with Navel Droids [ND] opperational knowledge. So thier emp. would errase that and they would go on thier happy way.

PiXwL01,
 I agree with you comments whole heartedly. I do not think thier are rules to jump your program from one host to another. But thier are rules is HARP SCI-Fi that could be adapted to SM:P. But IMO that is a very powerful ability for a PC to have. Now if everyone had that in the group it would not be a big deal. Or maybe have the AI prog start at a lower level, have some big flaws or some such thing. 

I remember that the Navel droids had loyality built in as well as some other stuff, but I was thinking that could be removed from the droid after thier price is paid off.

I was thinking that all droids might have a section of them that thier builder would remove to free them of those loyality type things. But also it would leve a hole in the robots mind and maybe some lost experience knowledge. Maybe 1-10% exp lost or loss of DP's but that was just my thoughts in the middle od the night.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
Oh which leads to me to one question, is there a way for Bots in SM to transfer themselves to a new "host" to prolong their existance or is the time limit final?

If not the mortal humans might have some prejudices against them.
(Read Asimov's Bicentennial Men)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
I'm thinking that Naval androids figure out pretty quickly that they were built by the lowest bidder and spend the rest of their opperational life upgrading.

Warbots on the other hand tend to apply to work at day care centres and homeless shelters.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
Exactly right on both counts.  :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »
Don't forget, though that they are, in the end, just people.  So, like the rest of us, they blow all their money on mmorpgs and collectable games.

I said that tongue in cheek, but it really is true.  They spend food money on maintenance and health care and work out money on upgrades.  The rest on whatever they do for fun.  The numbers probably don't map over exactly, but it works out with parallels, at least.