Author Topic: Sm2 question  (Read 3884 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Sm2 question
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »
How big is a andrium[anti-matter needed for light speed travel] processing plant? Can you have one on a spaceship?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Sm2 question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »
Based on the Silent Death information I'd guess that an Andrite factory is huge unwieldly and expensive.  The government was deliberately holding back advances and subsidizing the industry to stay expensive..  An Andrium factory in the new millenium is probably a reasonable ship board installation but it's probabably still pretty large, reasonable for a cruiser but not a destroyer.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:08:20 PM »
David,
 Thanks I am prepairing to run a SF game with a lot of the SM2 setting material. That is if it is approved by my players.

Thanks again
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:59 AM »
The Official Andrium ( the one you can buy from API ) comes probably from huge and expensive factories.

Now, there's a SM adventure ( The Durandrium Find ) that more or less hints that you can find naturally occuring Andrium that used with minimal refining and that last longer than the Official one.

[ Note : I deliberately didn't take into account the events contained in the Silent Death timeline ]
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
There's also the problem of power consumption. It's rather useless to have am Andrium plant on a ship, if it takes more energy to produce the andrium than the ships engine can produce (using the same Andrium.)
After all, if you could put an Andrium plant in a ship, you might as well integrate the plant in the engine and have almost unlimited range in your space ships. 
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »
 I am mulling over ideas to limit FTL travel and the Andrium idea in one of them.

I think I would disallow big A production while in hyperspace and require a time, energy and space required min. to product big A. For example 10,000 cubic meter workshop to produce 1 big A unit, X energy units over Y time [easily produced by solor enery but cannot be speed up by more energy.] So a ship could have multiple 10,000 m^3 shops but it should be cost, space, manpower prohibitive. Maybe the area around the workshop can only have 1 shop functioning at a time for a radius.

Thanks for the info and ideas.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:39:37 PM »
New idea; illegal Andrium production, i.e. smuggling.

Ship based andrium plants require an outside energy source.  While illigal in all sectors of space, andrium runners take big ships with plenty of runners into deep space where they find energy sources to run their process.  The process involved is very dangerous and typically involves taping solar flares.  From technology developed during some war, the now antiquated equipment is dangerous and the process leaves vast radiation clouds of debris moving at high speeds through systems, many take on comet like orbits.

Additionally, at some point the truth of the technologies quiet retirement can be revealed that with certain types of stars under certain circumstance, the mining process could destabilize the star...

If ya wanna go all HP on us, such an action could cause a shift in some big worded phrase that sounds impressive thingamicbob.

Enter the lost...

Or, another dimension, a lost civilization is contacted/old technology awakened (read a bezerker, which is why/how first war ended and solves puzzle of how planet Home of Whomever was destroyed by the Standard Historical Reference #15/Lost Empire/Race and how both armadas were destroyed in the process), ancient portal opens allowing/forcing via gravitational pull from portal to another sector of space/dimension/past/what-ever-floats-your-boat-buddy, cuz it's sci-fi.

Fodder for thought.

lynn
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:47:39 PM by yammahoper »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.