Author Topic: Hightech Gear  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hightech Gear
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
I am planing an campaign based on Hellgate London and need to mix some rules.

How would you recreate the effects of a powersword without use of SpaceMaster?

How about energy weapons without BlasterLaw?
I believe I read something in the SW Atlas to use Longbow weapon table and heat criticals for Andraax blasterpistol.

I am thinking Forcefields as bonuses to DB?

Powerarmor could be a bonus to ST, jump manuevers, DB, and reduced Crit (as the magic property from the treasure book).

If you have any thoughts on this, and could provide some input I would appriciate it
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Macavite

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hightech Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »
Off the bat, I don't know a thing about your setting, however:

I'm not sure if i'd straight substitute heat criticals, just because they tend towards the 'target on fire', flamethrower-y end of things.  I'd probably use mana criticals and ignore or co-opt the powerpoint critical effects.  In fact for most of the energy criticals I'd use mana as a subtitute, supposing that you couldn't get your hands on the plasma critical table.

The powerarmor and force field suggestions sound good.  Depending on the type of field, a intertial dampening field sounds like a classic case of critical reduction (sure it still goes in your thigh, but less deep).  Whereas i'd imagine deflection type shields would be more towards the DB bonuses. 

Powerarmor would also likely have far fewer MM penalties (total and minimum) than your typical suit of AT 19 or 20.  Heck even just a suit of At 20 that I don't need a lifetime of skill to be able to run around in would be nice, to say nothing of STR bonuses or critical reduction.  Some of the STR bonus would probably go to just that, being able to manuver in the bulky suit without it overencumbering.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
Thanks, I dont got blasterlaw but maybe I should get it :)

The setting is based the upcoming MMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxT1fH68Vo

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »
 In the past I have used Black OP's and Firarm Law. But if you do decide to go the SM:P route I think that will be your best bet.

As to words of advice, you can create you own rules but that can take a lot of time and tinkering. I think your time would be well spent creating the world buy SM and ease your work load.
 Power armor has its own colllum of the attack charts but thier are rules for using it with arms law. I do not have my books right now but I think it is AT-20 (+30-+50) and raises the strength og the person to over 100.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
Ten Million Ways to Die has all tha tables you want PLUS they are set up for AT 1-20 AND Space Master AT I-X.

TMWTD Rocks.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »
For Energy weapons I would use Aether criticals from F&I, they are quite nasty and the description is more similar to the effects of a laser blast than that of Heat crit, IMHO. You could also use Aether bolt attack table for blasters. Or, if you are looking for a "disintegrator" effect, use Nether criticals. You could use Aether criticals also for powerswords.

For power armors: in the steam-fantasy campaign I'm running there are steam-powered suits of armor, I've ruled that they give AT20 but encumber as AT17 (and they are much more heavy than a normal suit of armor). Ultratech power armor could protect as AT20, emcumber a 17 and give a bonus to DB.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
 10MWTD is an anser but it has abrivated tables for each weapon type. So all swords use 1 table ect. If you are short on money 10MWTD might be a way to go but I prefer the 1 table 1 weapon method.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »
Thanks, looks like 10MWTD comes up again and again. Since I am the one who has to carry all the books, I prefer to keep my load light ;D

I think your time would be well spent creating the world buy SM and ease your work load.

I agree, can get lost in rule bending sometimes ;D

I rather keep this (relatively) simple and hope to avoid the wide cap between low and hightech weapons as I would have in GURPs. Also the powerarmor and powerswords, etc are going to be used in a way similar to magical items. Eg: they wont be availilble in any olde shop, but given out as magic items would in a normal frpg.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:03:10 AM by Nejira »

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
Also the powerarmor and powerswords, etc are going to be used in a way similar to magical items. Eg: they wont be availilble in any olde shop, but given out as magic items would in a normal frpg.

Then probably the best solution is just making them exactly like magical items (with bonus/ multiple damage/ increased range/ additional crits...).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.