Author Topic: Star Wars: Holocrons  (Read 3688 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Star Wars: Holocrons
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »
I am planning to bring in a Sith Holocron into the game and was wondering what the level of the Holocron should be. If anyone touches it I will have the holocron try to "control" the user.

I'm assuming the level should be extraordinarily high to reflect how easy it is for a person's will to sapped by these devices, especially a Sith Holocron whose primary function is control and conversion. I'm guessing maybe Level 60. Should this be higher? Is it too high? Maybe I could lower the level but have a modifier to show the holocron is channeling the force through the user to, in effect, put the user in a euphoric state making it easier to control them and tap their minds. 

Thanks!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Star Wars: Holocrons
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:35:39 PM »
Well, look at your RR table.  A level 15 PC will need to roll a 95 or higher to resist.  Level 60 at -50rr mod should be MORE than enough.

Another option is to use will instead.  Make the object a legendary artifact and its will will easily overwelm almost anybodies.  The will table is also more appropriate in flavor for being dominated or influenced.

If you stay with rr to determine domination, you will need to create a table that shows range of domination based on severity of rr failure.  For example, fail rr by 01-25, influeneced by object, 26-50 strongly swayed, 51+ utterly dominated, etc.  The will contest table and rules already has results simular to that.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: Star Wars: Holocrons
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I was thinking of using Will and the Will Static Maneuver table, but I was just trying to think of how to generate the number the character needs to beat. I was thinking the RR table might do the trick. Actually maybe I should check the Treasure Companion book and see what the average level is of some of the legendary artifacts there. It might help be generate a number. ;)

Thanks!

edit: In looking at the table I noticed all artifacts except for one are level 75 or higher. This would mean if I used the RR as a base to beat, the player if at level 5 would have to get higher than a 135. I have noticed the average will power for a person is going to be between 40 and 80. The lower end for strict fighters and the higher end for more empathic characters. At a level 10 they would have to beat 120.

It's hard to gauge just how powerful these devices could be. One would have to guess. My guess is they would be quite powerful given that Sith are quite capable of control and manipulation. Your average Jedi would have a higher will power to withstand it but even a Jedi shouldn't be given special treatment I would think. Anything higher than a 75 I think is just pushing it. I mean, If I made the Holocron a level 100, that would mean you would have to beat a 160. Even for the best that's a roll higher than an 80. I would think there should be some balance to the artifact.

In reflection I think a will power roll using the RR table as a reference for the number to beat taking the result and applying it to the Will Contest table is a good way to go as you described. I'm also thinking a good level for the Holocron is 75. It should be VERY powerful, but still beatable by characters with a strong will, 80 or better.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:46:32 PM by Monk »