Author Topic: Two weapon fighting without two weapon combo  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Two weapon fighting without two weapon combo
« on: November 23, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »
How does it work? Is it different if the off hand is a shield bash?
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Two weapon fighting without two weapon combo
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:47:36 AM »
We use -20 on the off hand attack and both attacks must be against the same target. Weapon skills need to be developed for either left or right hand.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
We use -20 on the off hand attack and both attacks must be against the same target. Weapon skills need to be developed for either left or right hand.

...as well as for each weapon type the PC wants to use.  LH - Dagger, LH - Mace, LH - Rapier, etc.  Without training in a particular skill, the default penalty is -50 and we double the fumble range for the off-hand weapon.

RM Rule #1, It's better to have the token 1 rank in a skill than non at all.  1 rank in swimming is better than 0 ranks in swimming!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »
Thanks all! That sounds like what we used to do back in the day.

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
As well as having to train with the offhand weapon, I house ruled that you need 100% activity to make a two weapon attack.

So any situation where the PC moves or takes another activity that brings them below 100% means they can only attack (with normal penalty) with the main hand.

Currently, the only two weapon combo used by my players is shield bash in conjunction with main weapon.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 08:59:28 AM »
We use the initiative system in RMCI, which sets multiple attacks at 100%. I may drop that to 90%. Otherwise it's very easy to make it impossible for anyone to every make two attacks. "I attack once and move 10'."

I've never seen anyone do anything but main hand + shield bash either. It's just too useful to be able to get +25 or more DB and have the option to bitch slap someone when they're stunned or when you absolutely need to. Way back in the day we said you have to parry against each attack separately. This meant that a surprise shield bash could be devastating, whereas if you're swinging two short swords around, they know to defend against both.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 07:28:55 AM »
In one of the companions(IV? V? VI? Arms Comp?), a great TWC rule we used was adding the Fumble range of a weapon combo together, and every rank developed in “TWC X/Y” allowed one to use a % of the OB from their already developed weapons.

So, two Maces with Fumble ranges of 1-2(x2) = 4.
For every rank in “TWC Mace/Mace” earned, one could use another 25% of their total OB with their Mace skill.
(-20 to LH use notwithstanding, of course).

It allowed more Dev Pts. to be retained due to not needing to develop actual handedness.

PS: for skill cost, I believe it was add both skill costs together, so:
3/7 Mace + 3/7 Mace would be 6/14 for development cost of TWC, slowing development down to 1 rank / lvl in most cases.
(That was where another optional rule was used in my campaigns - rapid development costs would merely be spending enough Dev Pts. to afford the second number of a skill’s cost, vs adding the, together like normal.)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
Without training in a particular skill, the default penalty is -50 and we double the fumble range for the off-hand weapon.

Why -50 rather than -25? Are you doubling the normal penalty for lack of any skill because there are two weapons? Just wondering.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Online Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
With combat rounds lasting 10 seconds and being as abstract as they are in RoleMaster, I believe it makes more sense to offer someone with a second weapon a simple bonus to his OB akin to the DB bonus that a shield offers than to go into any further details.