Author Topic: Have there ever been alternative crit tables of "equivalen impact"?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
While the crit system of RoleMaster has always been fun, it does in fact increase the randomness of combat significantly, because the actual impact of a critical hit can vary greatly.

Now, suppose I want to have a collection of criticals that have a rather similar impact per class of critical hit - in other words, an A critical will always have a rather minor impact, and an E critical will always have a near-lethal impact.

Has there ever been an optional rule with critical hit tables like that in RoleMaster? If not, how would you implement it? Or wouldn't you? Why?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Have there ever been alternative crit tables of "equivalen impact"?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
I can't recall there ever being anything like that. I guess the way MERP handled criticals (note: it has been a long time since I played MERP, so this may not be entirely accurate) mimicked the idea to some extent, since the difference between criticals was just a modifier to a single table, meaning an A critical could never kill, while an E was always pretty bad.

If you wanted to mimic this in Rolemaster, I would roll all criticals on the 'C' chart, and just apply mods to the roll (e.g. A = -40, B = -20, C = 0, D = +20, E = +40).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
[...]
If you wanted to mimic this in Rolemaster, I would roll all criticals on the 'C' chart, and just apply mods to the roll (e.g. A = -40, B = -20, C = 0, D = +20, E = +40).

Unfortunately, there is the 66 that breaks this approach...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
[...]

Unfortunately, there is the 66 that breaks this approach...

The 66 doesn't help, but I'm not sure it really breaks the approach. It means that you can't obtain a 66 on an A critical, which I think works well. The B criticals are probably the most problematic, since an 86 (which might not be lethal) becomes a 66 (which might be). But you could probably solve that problem by saying to get a 66 result, you need to roll a natural 66. The C criticals stay the same, so they are good, and you could use the same rule -- a natural 66 stays a 66 -- for the D and E criticals.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
As for an approach, there was a variation created for HARP called HARP Hack & Slash. If you can find a copy of that you have a perfect way of controlling the lethality of every attack.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11486.0;nowap

If you take a look at this thread and download either the pdf or the spreadsheet you will see an attack table with results labeled A to Z. Those letters point to explicit critical results. So a Z would be the equivalent to rolling an 00 on the E critical table. So now you can decide that maxing out the attack table will always be lethal or barely getting a critical at all will never produce more than +1 hit, as examples.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »

Here is an example

Offline Puin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RM2+RMC. Waiting for RMU!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
While the crit system of RoleMaster has always been fun, it does in fact increase the randomness of combat significantly, because the actual impact of a critical hit can vary greatly.

Now, suppose I want to have a collection of criticals that have a rather similar impact per class of critical hit - in other words, an A critical will always have a rather minor impact, and an E critical will always have a near-lethal impact.

Has there ever been an optional rule with critical hit tables like that in RoleMaster? If not, how would you implement it? Or wouldn't you? Why?

As others have said HARP and H&S approaches this as in fact, and if I don't recall badly, they merge the attack and critical roll in a single one. This eliminates inflicting an E crit and throw an 01!!  :'( If you do a great attack the critical goes along with it.

But I can't recall any product of RM along the lines.

I designed two generic tables (with diferent severity) that realocates the cells of any critical table so that all "A" critcs are mostly the less severe of all the table and the "E" critics are mostly the most severe of the table. I also eliminated the "66" efect.
(I took the Slash table as model to order the cells by severity precedence)
As example a 100 "A" equals now the 67-70 "A" (quite heavy but not deadly), 51-55 "C" equals 61-65 "C" (more or less the same) and now a 01-05 "E" equals the 46-50 "E" (wow, any "E" is now worthy  :)).
This way is better to donn armour and parry until you stun your foe, then it's time to trow all you have.

Just my two cents.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
The condensed combat system in the "Combat companion" just does that.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
[...]
I designed two generic tables (with diferent severity) that realocates the cells of any critical table so that all "A" critcs are mostly the less severe of all the table and the "E" critics are mostly the most severe of the table. I also eliminated the "66" efect.
As example a 100 "A" equals now the 67-70 "A" (quite heavy but not deadly), 51-55 "C" equals 61-65 "C" (more or less the same) and now a 01-05 "E" equals the 46-50 "E" (wow, any "E" is now worthy  :)).
This way is better to donn armour and parry until you stun your foe, then it's time to trow all you have.
[...]

Do you have put these tables online anywhere? :)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »

It does? Well, then the question is, is there a PDF version available anywhere?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »
I think it is one of the lost books.

Offline Puin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
[...]
[...]

Do you have put these tables online anywhere? :)

Nope but you can PM me if you want them.  :)

Offline Puin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »

mmmm... not really the same. The Condensed Combat System (CCS), that reminds me of old MERP or HARP products, helps reduce rolling a 01 "E" crit as it gives "E" crits rolls a +20 bonus. But still you can merely inflict a (+5hits, -25 2rnds)!!  :'(

We want that "E" crits really make the difference!

Besides, those charts say that a broadsword is way better against plate armour (max "D" crit) than a War Hammer (max "B" crit). I always though it was the other way round!!  :o

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 03:49:56 AM »
Indeed I think rearranging the existing critical results would be the best solution.