Author Topic: Question on relative skill levels in both RMFRP and RMC  (Read 1047 times)

Offline hectorgrey

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question on relative skill levels in both RMFRP and RMC
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »
A while ago, I came across an article on 3.x D&D called Calibrating Your Expectations, which basically explains in a decent amount of detail roughly what the average power level of a character at low levels actually was - that is, essentially, level 6 is roughly where D&D 3.x stops being at all representative of what real people are capable of, and contrary to a lot of people's opinions at the time, Conan or Aragorn could be easily represented by a 5th level character (to grossly simplify the article).

Simply put, I was wondering if anybody had done anything similar for RoleMaster (either RM2/C or RMSS/FRP) - while in the latter, some of the skills list some example difficulties, the difficulty of many tasks seems a little arbitrary.  To take RMFRP as an example, a level 1, layman weaponsmith with average stats will have a +25 to Metal-Crafts - 2 ranks from reaching level 1, and 3 ranks from the Crafter training package.  Bearing in mind that the weaponsmith in question will get a +10 per level, what level do they need to be in order to create a weapon with a +5 non-magical bonus?  Or a +20 for that matter?  Simply put, how capable is a given character at a given level, assuming that they're in the right profession and have the relevant skills maxed out?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Question on relative skill levels in both RMFRP and RMC
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
That's a great article, I would love to see some similar work for RM.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster