Author Topic: How powerful are you're pc's?  (Read 6706 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How powerful are you're pc's?
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 04:45:12 AM »
^^;;;;;
If we except one combat inept mage, and consider the sum of OB, DB and any possible one-round bonus (any bonus that the character may be able to activate in one round, including a magical item or a spell), for my 17th level NPCs, it ranges from 223 for the less combat-able mage to 489 for the combat-oriented semi-spell user. Well, to be true, I have one 17th level warrior-monk that totals 561, but then she's considered a cheater and a game-breaker in-universe, even by the gods, who still let her go away with it because they think she's yet too awesome (to have been able to cheat that much to reach such a level), so I guess she doesn't really count. :p
Breaking the figures, the OBs go from +133 to +285 (aforementioned Uranie), the DBs from 48 to 142, and the one-round bonus from +10 (probably the simple Blur) to +130 (of course, the Paladin's Holy Avenger spell, the monstrous spell that adds +100 ot OB, +30 to DB, is instant and lasts 1 round per level).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
Sure (so I'm surprised you're impressed by the OB of the warrior-class character and not of the semi-spell user but...)
* Level 0 + 11 levels: 24 skill ranks -> +74,
* ST/ST/AG bonus: +32,
* Level bonus: +22,
* Weapon bonus: +25,
* Soulbound weapon bonus: +11,
* Background special bonus for primary skill: +10,
* Magical item: +15.

what in the name of all that's holy is: "Soulbound weapon bonus" and "Background special bonus for primary skill" ?!? is it RM2?
Why procrastinate today when you can do it tomorrow?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »
In the name of all that's unholy, the "background special bonus for primary skill" is RM2, Ch&CL's optional rules about background options (chapter 14.2), and, to be accurate, option #2, "a special+10 bonus for any primary skill(i.e., non-secondary), whereas the "soulbound weapon bonus" is a world-specific bonus. In my world, there are ways to link an item to oneself, so that only oneself can use it efficiently. A person can only have one item linked to himself at a given time.
There are three levels of link/bind:
  • Weak or Personal Link. A Personal Link is created through a relatively easy to learn and cast spell; it can be cast on any kind of item but has no real use save if cast on a weapon. When a weapon is Personally Linked to a person, it becomes especially balanced for that person and unbalanced for other persons to use; however its balance is according to the person's characteristics when the spell was cast so it needs to be recast if the person's fighting abilities change. It's (relatively easily) possible to break this link.
    Since the spell is very common, most people rich enough have it cast on their favourite weapon.
  • Medium or Mind Link. A Mind Link is created through a complex, long and expensive (because of the cost of the ingredients) ritual; it can be cast on any kind of item (though the heavier or bigger the item is, the harder it is to succeed the ritual), though weapons are the most common ones. When an item is Mind-Linked to a person, it becomes a part of that person. As such, that person always knows in which direction the item is. In fact, if the person trains enough, he can even call to himself the item, which would then fly to his open hand; range is in theory unlimited but there's no record of a successful call with a weapon farer than a dozen metres. Aside from not being penalized by the item's size or weight whilst using it (since it's a part of the person's own body), it cannot be used by anyone save the linked person, without his authorization. Whenever someone tries to do so, something happens, preventing him from succeeding; that 'something' depends and is defined during the creation of the link. For instance, the item may turn into sand, water or air, or burst into fire, or slowly turn the 'thief' into stone or ice, etc. That effect is always physical in nature. Contrary to the Personal Link, the ritual only needs to be performed once and its power evolves along with the person. It's almost impossible to break this link, though it is automatically broken if the person dies and reincarnates.
    Because of the nature of the ritual, only a couple persons on a given country/continent usually know how to perform it and only the most powerful (normal) persons on a given country/continent (e.g. the Commandant of the Royal Guard of the local empire) have one. OTOH, pretty much all powerful beings at a world level (e.g. divine servants, major demons, etc.) have at least such a weapon.
  • Strong or Soulbind. The ritual to create a Soulbind is not hard or long in itself (just a matter of days), but it uses as components a part of the soul of both the person to be linked and the person performing the ritual; this latter also needs to understand perfectly the nature and relationship between the soul, the mind, the body, life, death and reincarnation and their ties to the Tissue of Reality. A Soulbound item becomes an integral part of the recipient. As such, it cannot really be destroyed, as long as the person still exists, because that person can recreate it from his soul. In fact, whilst separated of his Soulbound item, a person may just with a thought (and by sacrificing a bit of his life essence) dematerialize the item where it is and rematerialize it in his hands. The Soulbound item can absolutely not be used by anyone save the recipient and the ritual performer, even if one of them would have wanted so. Anyone save them who tries to use the item are affected by a destructive power, which can even affect the mind, the soul or magical abilities! For instance, Raizze's Heartbreaker burns the body, mind and soul of its potential 'thief'. It's impossible to break this powerful bind, which last even through death and reincarnations; in other words, if a person dies, reincarnates and learns he used to have a Soulbound item, he can still call it anew in his new life.
    Obviously, only the most powerful beings of a given world (...god-like beings) are able to perform the ritual, and only a few of them would agree to perform it -- and it's only on exceptional situations for exceptional characters, so the number of beings with such an item is very rare.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.