Author Topic: Arcane as chosen realm, rather than Essence, Mentalism, Channeling?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kind of a bit confused by this.  Whenever I read the various character creation sections (in the different RM systems) they all just mention a choice between the big three.
I'm sure if you choose your profession as an arcane user then your realm is Arcane.
But is there an option for choosing Arcane to start, say if you are not a spell user?

What about Talents and Flaws that specify bonus' or minus' for realms?  Can Arcane be choosen?

Thanks,
Mal

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arcane as chosen realm, rather than Essence, Mentalism, Channeling?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »
This is more of a course for optional rules and house rules. Some do not use the Arcane professions which was a supplemental set of rules after the core rules were created. If you include the Arcane rules then limit them to those who choose the Arcane professions or if the player was from a primitive culture where magic was not defined and specialized. You can also create a talent in the talent supplement to have the Arcane as a initial realm.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
Arcane in some ways is a 3-way hybrid rather than a realm per se. I would never let a non-spelluser pick it as their realm, unless perhaps they wanted to purchase an "additional realm" talent twice.

RRs vs Arcane are based on your individual realm RR mods. I don't see a balance issue with picking Arcane for a talent that grants an RR bonus but I would at least discourage it. Storywise, is there a reason you would be more resistant to the combined work of all magics than you are to the individual components?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »
Storywise, is there a reason you would be more resistant to the combined work of all magics than you are to the individual components?

No opposition to the combined vs individual components.  But since we have Arcane, Mentalism, Channeling and Essence casters, it seems like there should be access equivalent talent options for all four IMO.

Mal

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
Storywise, is there a reason you would be more resistant to the combined work of all magics than you are to the individual components?

No opposition to the combined vs individual components.  But since we have Arcane, Mentalism, Channeling and Essence casters, it seems like there should be access equivalent talent options for all four IMO.

You have Hybrid casters too, but there's no equivalent talent option for resisting spells cast by Sorcerers or Mystics.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »
I think you only see the three mentioned because they are what were originally published in the "core" rules.  The Arcane Companion's/Spell Lists/Professions came later.

Also, they can develop the other three realms spells, but they will pay more for it (i.e. 'other' realm).  For a logical reason why, that's simple: Balance.  If you want a philosophical rationale then they are learned and cast differently, just as the other three realms are learned and cast differently.  If you want to say "But Arcane IS all three realms" then I would say "But it is a much more raw form of them, lacking some of the finesse of the others, which is why it's failures are more spectacular."
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:23:51 PM »
 As a side note I have played in games where a talent for one of the three realms applied also to the hybrid realms and IIRC in RMSS you have specific save for hybrid realms that differ from the three realms but I do not remember if RM2 has that option.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.