Author Topic: Pure Mentalism users  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Pure Mentalism users
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
In this thread http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15373 it was suggested that
With the multiple thousands of spells in RM, Mentalism users get burned by not having Lord Research capability?  Is there a balance for this in another manner for Mentalism users that Channeling and Essence users can't do?  The ability to wear some armour hardly seems like a fair trade off for the spell levels we are talking about.

I always thought that wearing platemail was a massive benefit and my favourite mentalism user to play is the lay healer.

Mentalists have a big PR bonus, even bigger if you were lucky with skill with magic as background options. Give your lay healer a spear and platemail and stick him behind your main fighter so he can fight from the second row. The lay healer can use adrenal move speed (cheap cost, level bonus and big stat bonus) to add a bit of variety to their fighting and the spear is a brilliantly flexible weapon being similar to javelin giving you a range attack, staff so you can use any magic staves you find and lance so you can have fun at the tourney. When you get to about 9th or 10th level you can start throwing magic about like a 'proper' mmagic user using shock bolts, water bolts and hurling. You can fly, go invisible all that cool wizardly stuff and the morning after you turn into the party healer and heal everyone up. Lay healer base list spells take a minute to cast and take 1d10 hours to take effect you are not required to keep all your power points back for healing. Just to use first/second aid skill to stablise the wounded and sort it out after a good nights sleep.

I see them as a three characters for the price of one. Sure not being able to do Lord Research is a drawback but I have never taken a lay healer to 25th level is that is academic. Not being able to create scrolls like a pure essence user is a pain but then like I said you can use all your power points to fight with and then use them all again the next day to heal with so you are better off that way. No fighter is going to complain about having the healer stood right behind him even if you are just going to administer herbs or minor healing in the heat of the moment but you do get to share in all his kill points. How many magic users at lower levels get to cast two spells and then that is them done for the day where our healer is in the thick of the action all though the adventure.

Are mentalists really the poor relation in the magic world?
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Pure Mentalism users
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
Fully agree

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Pure Mentalism users
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
Coming from a RMSS perspective, Mentalism users...

Can wear armor (although I question if wearing armor is worth it in RMSS if you have a good Qu stat).

Their 'castings' are not observable by normal means and even their offensive spells are difficult to spot unless they screw up.  This can help immensely at times.

They tend to have more useful Open and Closed selection of spells from defensive perspective (if I play an Arms User I almost always pick Mentalism).

Mentalism spell casting professions tend to have better MA Skill and Special Defense costs.

Mentalism is more subtle, which can be helpful in many ways.  For example, their spells can be more selective;  Cloaking effects the target (only the target can't see you), not the caster (i.e. invisibility where no one can see you).  While this seems weaker in some ways you can do things like make someone look crazy or rude because they can not see you/the target when everyone else can.  You can also use Cloaking on multiple targets so that your allies can see you but your enemies cannot.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss