Author Topic: What type of gamer are you?  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
What type of gamer are you?
« on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
I love this chart. I actually strive to be a 'True Actor' when I play in an RPG. Sometimes I would even cosplay (to an extent and back in my youth), to the amusement of my fellow gamers in Pete's campaign, most of whom were Dickhead-gamer / True Gamer / Reasonable Gamer.

What type of gamer are you? And for you GMs, what type of gamer do you love/hate? '-)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What type of gamer are you?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
I am in trouble as I fit in all categories depending on who is GMing and the game.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »
As a GM, I don't really accept any "Richard head" behavior at my table. ;) I've ejected players before. Luckily, it doesn't seem to occur much these days.

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
As a GM, I don't really accept any "Richard head" behavior at my table. ;) I've ejected players before. Luckily, it doesn't seem to occur much these days.

(that's funny - the 'board edited my terminology).

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »
Hmmm. I suspect I fall somewhere between the "True Gamer" and "True Reasonable" range.

We're a rather hack-and-slash group.  Not quite to the point that we might as well be playing BattleTech though.  As I've partially-jokingly described it before: A lot of our games are a series of combats tied together by a plot, but most of us don't mind that.  For the most part we are a very tactically minded group of friends.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
You have your filter turned on Brian1, cause I saw what you really typed. :)
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Moderator Note:
 BrainI,
 Please try and keep the language to a minimum as young kids do read the forum. I have been lucky enough to not have to deal with some real irate parents but other Mods in the past have. So please take pity on us when you type.

P.S. I know how easy it is to slip up as I have done it also as at time the fingers are simply flying.

Thank You
MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
Hmmm.  I must never swear here.  I have this auto-filter that kicks in that I don't even notice, probably from work and/or people more sensitive to that kind of thing (used to have some good friends when I was a kid who were born-again Christians).  They didn't think too much about our hobby (cause they were listening to people who simply didn't think too much in the first place), but they were a very nice couple.

I once had a co-worker swear around me, then apologize.  I looked at her oddly and asked why she apologized and she said "You don't swear."  I just about fell over laughing.
- Cory Magel

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:34 PM »
Moderator Note:
 BrainI,
 Please try and keep the language to a minimum as young kids do read the forum. I have been lucky enough to not have to deal with some real irate parents but other Mods in the past have. So please take pity on us when you type.

P.S. I know how easy it is to slip up as I have done it also as at time the fingers are simply flying.

Thank You
MDC

:) Understood - however, I did use language that was referenced right from the diagram that Terry posted and referenced. ;) It didn't flag there because it was an image, I think.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
Right. If the moderator should be cautioning anyone to be more careful, it's Terry. The language in question was introduced in his image, which I believe as an attachment had to be moderator approved before it showed up... so, I guess one of the moderators should be cautioning himself to be more careful in the future?
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
I'm always the GM: high drama, usually big scope and a heavy dose of terry pratchett and piers anthony.   I seek the humor and go there.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »
Right. If the moderator should be cautioning anyone to be more careful, it's Terry. The language in question was introduced in his image, which I believe as an attachment had to be moderator approved before it showed up... so, I guess one of the moderators should be cautioning himself to be more careful in the future?

My bad! Yes, I am responsible. Moderators, I understand if you need to pull the thread.

Though I thought the language used in the image was a bit coarse, I didn't think it really would be considered obscene or profane. Maybe I'm old and jaded (and how do I turn the 'richard' filter off? ).
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 01:13:43 AM »
Actually it was my bad. I looked at the jpeg and did not even see the language. I was the person who approved the jpeg.
Again I am sorry if I offened anyone or allowed anyone to be offended.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
50% of the people in this thread are guilty.  The other 50% are probably guilty of something else.
- Cory Magel

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 01:30:31 AM »
I went in and edited it in PS and used 'jerk.' Markc please feel free to replace the old one or just kill the thread.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »
Corporate thinking invades all aspects of life, film at 11.

I saw nothing offensive in any post in this thread.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
Corporate thinking invades all aspects of life, film at 11.

I saw nothing offensive in any post in this thread.

Concur. Certainly nothing worse that you might encounter on, say, Wikipedia.

And I'd say I alternate between True Actor and Reasonable-Gamer. It's hard to say, though, since I tend to GM far more than I can actually play (it's been about 95% GM, 5% player for the last 20 years or so).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
  It is up and the damage is done IMHO, if someone on the paid ICE staff wants to kill it, then that is fine. I volunteer to try and keep things as tidy as I can as set forth by the Moderators Rules of Conduct but I am not perfect.   

Of course if a complaint comes down the Report to Moderator link then I will have no choice but to remove it and ask Terry to please re-post the topic.

MDC

Back on topic, when I have gone to con's I generally try and play the character but it is not always easy to do. As per my PC's now I tend to like to have some flaws to play off of or something to give the PC some character.
OTOH, I have also seen GM's savagely tear into PC flaws with unbridled glee and IMHO that tends to push people away from playing PC's and min-maxing PC's.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
  It is up and the damage is done IMHO, if someone on the paid ICE staff wants to kill it, then that is fine. I volunteer to try and keep things as tidy as I can as set forth by the Moderators Rules of Conduct but I am not perfect.   

Of course if a complaint comes down the Report to Moderator link then I will have no choice but to remove it and ask Terry to please re-post the topic.

MDC

Back on topic, when I have gone to con's I generally try and play the character but it is not always easy to do. As per my PC's now I tend to like to have some flaws to play off of or something to give the PC some character.
OTOH, I have also seen GM's savagely tear into PC flaws with unbridled glee and IMHO that tends to push people away from playing PC's and min-maxing PC's.

MDC

Quite true, Marc. A bad GM can do great damage to the development of gamers. Sometimes I think this aspect of our hobby is under-appreciated.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »
I have to say that as a GM, there's nothing that annoys me more than a rules lawyer/min-maxer. A few times I have let a player have an unusual character, with the naive assumption that they are going to make it more interesting to play. Instead I found myself constantly battling the player who wanted to use the rules as a tool for the character's power gain, usually by trying to corrupt the obvious spirit of a rule or exploit a flaw.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.