Author Topic: What is your favorite trap....  (Read 3269 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What is your favorite trap....
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:03 AM »
Actually I think I have it recorded on VHS from way back when, but it is probablly in a box some where with my VHS player. It was a movie wd all enjoyed way back in the day, along with wizards, heavy metal, the origional lord of the rings, the challange, various bruce lee movies and robin williams comedy shows. But that was back in the 80s  or way back in the 80s, I should say.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »
There's a good chance you wouldn't be able to hook up your VHS Player to a new TV without some kind of adapter.  ;)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
There's a good chance you wouldn't be able to hook up your VHS Player to a new TV without some kind of adapter.  ;)

OMG, you're right.

I've been trying to find a way to hook up my Atari 2600 to my TV so the kids can see where video games really game from!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
I live in the UK and even the newest TVs I have seen still have the old analogue arial connector. When I got me Raspberry Pi I connected that to the TV via the HDMI cable and I got comments about how basic it was so I dug my old ZX81 out of the attic and powered it up, connected it to the TV arial and it worked first time. I had to retune the TV so it found the signal but 15minutes and I was 'typing' ZXBasic again. My TV is a LG HD/internet TV and only 2-3 years old.

Even our smaller TV has an arial socket for connecting to an external arial and watching Digital TV through a built in freeview decoder.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
I am pretty sure arial above is the font and what I meant was aerial. Atleast I didn't write an entire post about connecting the little mermaid to a TV.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
I am pretty sure arial above is the font and what I meant was aerial. Atleast I didn't write an entire post about connecting the little mermaid to a TV.

I doubt she'd accept HDMI, the old Red/Yellow/White or even Coax connections.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
Mighty shellfish of her
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 12:26:46 AM »
Boooooo warl, bad joke, very baaaaad.

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
I am also not one to spring traps willy nilly.  Although if done properly it can make for a very nice dungeon crawl.  But to be honest a trap can be anything happening unexpected, for instance, a bunch of giant centipedes dropping from the ceiling of a cavern upon unsuspecting adventurers.  It all depends on how the gm uses the terrain he created and how he populates that terrain.

For example, a group of adventurers are crossing an area in the plains on horseback.  When from out of seemingly nowhere 2 large trapdoor spiders pounce upon the party.  Not really much of a trap, but because this is how said spiders trap their prey, works really nice for a trap.

Not every trap has to be contained within a dungeon and I feel the best ones are those that use the creatures in their natural habitat and using their natural methods of gathering food.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
I just saw this on an older thread about most powerful spells (lists) posted by yammahoper
I once had a 25th level Sorcerer played by my buddy Dillenger.  UnIce inspired an idea for a trap...

Imagine a massive block of black ice that blocks a passage.  Delving reveals it is (ice that never melts, forget the name).  Deep in the block are runes, but these are extremely hard to make out even with detection spells.  Regardless, the party successfully delves that the block exist to destroy any who try to pass.  Dillenger gave a hearty laugh and UnIced it, only to discover the rune was a Magus BE NOT word of power.  In a flash, as if hit by Balefire, the sorcerer was unmade, having never existed.  This also meant no one had ever destroyed the block of ice so it magically reformed.

The party never did get into that armory/room.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
I just saw this on an older thread about most powerful spells (lists) posted by yammahoper
I once had a 25th level Sorcerer played by my buddy Dillenger.  UnIce inspired an idea for a trap...

Imagine a massive block of black ice that blocks a passage.  Delving reveals it is (ice that never melts, forget the name).  Deep in the block are runes, but these are extremely hard to make out even with detection spells.  Regardless, the party successfully delves that the block exist to destroy any who try to pass.  Dillenger gave a hearty laugh and UnIced it, only to discover the rune was a Magus BE NOT word of power.  In a flash, as if hit by Balefire, the sorcerer was unmade, having never existed.  This also meant no one had ever destroyed the block of ice so it magically reformed.

The party never did get into that armory/room.

I did see that post in the other thread too, but I had forgotten about it.  Thank you for the reminder.  THAT was an ingenious spell trap to create.

I am working on trap now for the end-campaign sessions of the one I am starting tonight.  I can't give out too much info since I have asked all f the players to join this forum to get a well rounded view of what RM is.  Only one of the 7 has played RM and it was several years ago as RM1.  I already slipped in one of my posts and revealed something that I was including in the campaign so I am going to keep this trap close to the vest and describe it only after the group has encountered it.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
My favorite trap.  Hmm...

This is a trap designed to seriously hurt.  The degree of the attack delivered by triggering it is left to each GM's discretion.

Imagine a path of crystal blocks.  The blocks all vary in size, averaging 6"x12".  A sign by the path, or on a door that opens to the path reads: Follow the path of gold to safely pass.  The first time I used this, I had a room full of elven trees hanging heavy with golden leaves while the walls and floor were covered in hammered gold.  The path winds across a 100' room, darkened.  At the 100' point, it takes a sharp turn and goes another 60', ending (at a door or a gateway or whatever). 

The blocks of crystal or opaque, but if examined closely (hard perception mnv) a rune can be made out in each block.  One rune is AG, the other AU.  Use whatever language or skill you wish for the PC's to figure out what those runes mean.  Step on the wrong block, and the trees release a hail of thorns and grapple attacks, or the golden wall unleashes a blast of magical energy.  I once even had spears erupt from the walls and floor, impaling everything in the room with 1d10+5 random puncture crits.  Whatever.  For low magic settings, exploding canisters can fall from the ceiling, ceiling blocks crushing, pits open, etc.  Summoning monsters is another option for more combat oriented GM's.

The key is to throw small tonnage of worthless misinformation at the PC's.  Their pointless experiments will miss the obvious and cause great harm.  The type of attack can be modified to fit your style, such as each wrong step teleporting away random items on the PC, aging them or working good ole RMCIII Warlock changeling spells, slowly altering and twisting the hapless PC into something nasty (tentacle arms anyone?  A four foot telescoping neck?).  This trap is best played old school style imo.  If a player examines the blocks, they symbols will be seen, the trap solved and easily bypassed.  Well, how easily is again up to the GM, who may demand a mnv to walk the path without stepping on a wrong block (crunch movement rates to calculate how long it takes and difficulty of mnv based on light, size of blocks, etc). 

It helps to make the room a magic dead zone, or have attacks triggered by attempts to cross room with magic/spells.  This should be detectable with Sit Aware Spell Casting.  Reality Awareness, Spell Lore and Warding/Symbol/Glyph skills could be useful in seeing the danger, again as fits a GM's respective style.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 10:45:51 PM »
Of all the traps I've done (often with a puzzle element, or a riddle to provide a tip!) my favorite has always been the "echo trap". It usually shows itself as a hallway with progressively deeper alcoves every 10 feet for a length of about 60 feet. The party has to stalk across the room or take a vibration critical proportional to the distance they traveled (10'=A 20'=B...50'=E), often modified by how poorly they did.

The look on their faces when their plate wearing warrior fumbles stalking....priceless.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 06:42:23 AM »
Of all the traps I've done (often with a puzzle element, or a riddle to provide a tip!) my favorite has always been the "echo trap". It usually shows itself as a hallway with progressively deeper alcoves every 10 feet for a length of about 60 feet. The party has to stalk across the room or take a vibration critical proportional to the distance they traveled (10'=A 20'=B...50'=E), often modified by how poorly they did.

The look on their faces when their plate wearing warrior fumbles stalking....priceless.

I like this one!  I love the Vibration Critical table and hardly ever find a chance to use it.  This is ingenious!

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »
Speaking of traps...if you have a fondness for over the top old school traps, or you just have some nostalgia for Grimtooth, this kickstarter may be of interest...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/grimtooths-ultimate-traps-collection