Author Topic: Combat style: Weapon & Shield  (Read 1296 times)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat style: Weapon & Shield
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
A little question about the Weapon and Shield combat style, if the character has a magic shield, is the magic bonus of the shield apply to the OB when making the shield bash?

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Combat style: Weapon & Shield
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »
Unless the shield's bonus specifically is described as applying only to protective defense, I would grant the bonus for using the shield in a shield bash.  Think of the magic as making the shield stronger and lighter... the same aspects that make it better defensively, also allow the wielder to be more successful with it offensively.

Now if the magic of the shield is described as the shield senses oncoming blow and helps the individual defend against it - then no I would not permit the bonus - but most magic items don't get specific into how they do their work.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
That exactly why I asked. The whole topic is a little vague. A bonus II magic normal shield would give the shield a +10 magic bonus to the DB. This could be viewed as making the normal shield providing +20/+35 to DB, or it could still be +10/+25 to DB with a separate +10 Magic bonus to DB (would go on a different spot on the character sheet).

In one case it changes the OB (from +25 to +35), in the other in doesn't.

I'm still on the fence for this. I'll keep thinking about it until I actually have to rule on it in the game.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
I'd rule it pretty must just like Thom.  It if gives no explanation of how the bonus applies at all, I'd assume it applies to the attacks also because the generic version of a magic weapon or armor is that it's stronger, lighter, sharper, which would help in the attack.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss