Author Topic: Creatures and Armor Penalty  (Read 1747 times)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Creatures and Armor Penalty
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
Is the Armor Penalty applied to the creatures with armors in the core book?

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Re: Creatures and Armor Penalty
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
If it is part of their hide, no. Otherwie if 'added' (eg. worn, as barding, armour, etcetera), yes.

There is a difference between a dragon's hide, for example, and a suit of plate & chain worn by a warhorse, in that, unlike the horse, the dragon "wears" its hide continuously since birth, and as a result has an innate "skill" with it.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
If it is part of their hide, no. Otherwie if 'added' (eg. worn, as barding, armour, etcetera), yes.

There is a difference between a dragon's hide, for example, and a suit of plate & chain worn by a warhorse, in that, unlike the horse, the dragon "wears" its hide continuously since birth, and as a result has an innate "skill" with it.

Yes, but what I'm wondering does the OBs and skill bonuses already have the AP applied for those creatures that do wear armor. When I look at them, I'm under the impression that they are not applied.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:21 PM »
I'd fairly confidently say that if an armor is intrinsic to the critter than the impact of it should already be built into the critters stats.  (I can't imagine someone designing a creature without doing so).

As for things that wear external armor, I would think that would be included in the stats too with a notation if needed (for example when you see a DB and it has an "s" with it that usually means that's with a shield bonus) but I'm not familiar enough with HARP to say (RM guy here).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:03 AM »
I'd fairly confidently say that if an armor is intrinsic to the critter than the impact of it should already be built into the critters stats.  (I can't imagine someone designing a creature without doing so).

As for things that wear external armor, I would think that would be included in the stats too with a notation if needed (for example when you see a DB and it has an "s" with it that usually means that's with a shield bonus) but I'm not familiar enough with HARP to say (RM guy here).

Indeed. The description includes a section that gives the details of the DB. This gives me the impression that the AP isn't included because that always include the bonus for the Qu stat, which would get wholly or partially eliminated by the AP for those creatures that are wearing armor, which is specified in the same section.

The AP value isn't specified when the creature is wearing armor although this can easily determined since the Armor skill is generally given.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding, doing some international travel and then came down with the flu.  But I'm back now....

To answer your question - You are correct, the armor penalties were NOT included. It was missed on the spreadsheet we used and you had pointed it out previously with your errata feedback.  We flagged it for update, but that update is still pending as focus has been on other projects.   I'll see what I can do about putting together the full errata and seeing if we can get the files updated for a corrected pdf.

Note - DB protection from Tough Hide does not get penalized. Only armor equipment carries a penalty.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
To answer your question - You are correct, the armor penalties were NOT included. It was missed on the spreadsheet we used and you had pointed it out previously with your errata feedback.  We flagged it for update, but that update is still pending as focus has been on other projects.   I'll see what I can do about putting together the full errata and seeing if we can get the files updated for a corrected pdf.

This was flagged already :o Didn't find in the search. :(

I will include it in my documentation.

Note - DB protection from Tough Hide does not get penalized. Only armor equipment carries a penalty.

That's a given. Can't have AP if you're not wearing armor.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »
I'll PM the reference for you....  You pointed it out, I indicated I would look into it, but never actually responded (though it did go in my errata file).

I just wanted to make sure it was clear about tough hide since Cory brought it up.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
No problem.

Tough hide is quite clear for me.

I'm currently building my world specific bestiary and changing quite a few of the creatures in the core book.