Author Topic: Collecting Rolemaster?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Lazerrus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Collecting Rolemaster?
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
Hi all. I am new here but not new to Rolemaster.  As my most beloved game system to play I have decided to start collecting some of the rarer items from past aeons.  For example I just purchased a Rolemaster special edition 1 of 200 copies signed hardback that includes all of the 2nd ed core books.  I truly have no idea as to it's value outside of what I just paid for it.  Anyway my question is do many of you also collect the material or do you just use what you have and only purchase material for use.  I have not started collecting original MERP material yet as I like to pay my bills and survive LOL.  Damn that stuff goes for a lot. I would love to see pics of peoples I.C.E. collections if you would like to share. 

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
Re: Collecting Rolemaster?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:51:55 PM »
As far as I'm aware Brent Knorr has an impressive collection of ICE books and a site with all the listings. I think this is the link http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
When I was much younger, early 20's maybe, I got rid of most my D&D stuff and boy to I regret that, but only because I could have sold it all for more these days.  I have a lot of the MERP stuff and I see it listed on ebay for ungodly amounts... but I've never actually seen one sell for as high as some are listed for.  For example, I have Laketown in perfect condition and see it listed for like $200, but I have yet to see it actually sell for that (or anything even approaching it).

Anyhow, I have some rare items like the first printing of the Dieties & Demi-Gods for D&D... but that's just cause someone who didn't know what they had was selling it cheap.  RMSS is pretty much it for me anymore.  I'll I typically only buy stuff I can use in or convert to my own games.  It doesn't even have to be a variation of RM (I have stuff from all the editions - mostly RM2 and RMSS), but it does need to have something I can actively use (I steal maps ALL THE TIME).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:34:10 AM »
I am a collector as well as player, see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91320784@N07/sets/72157632811859743/

That is some collection! I've played maybe from 5% of those books. How did you manage to play all that?
Game On!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:48 PM »
By gaming for nearly 40 years. I have not played everything there, some of the stuff is for collection purposes, but mostly, games I pick up but don't play are used as material for other games. (Art, adventures, settings, etc..)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »
BTW: this is my third collection of gaming books (though the largest, by far), the first 2 beings sold as I joined and then left the United States Marine Corps. I even had a box of games sent to me while I was in Desert Storm - I will put up the pic of me running a game in a tent in Kuwait.

Offline Lazerrus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Here is my Signed copy of the Rolemaster Special Edition RM2SE. Only 200 made of which mine is #62.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
That is one of the few Rolemaster items I'm missing.  I was supposed to get one but it got lost in the mail somewhere and since there were only 200 it couldn't really get replaced  :'(
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »
I gave away an entire RMSS coleection as a door prize two years ago.  I certainly have no need for more books.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Collecting [b]Rolemaster [/b]?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
Wow, I never even heard of those hardbound copies of Rolemaster SE books. And signed by Bruce and Heike...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blödmannsgehilfe and Mad RPG Collector
Re: Collecting [b]Rolemaster [/b]?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
I have a huge RPG collection ... a whole room. Though I do not have any of the special editions of RM, I own all books of HARP, MERP1, MERP2, RM2, RMC, RMX, RMFRP, RMSS, BOTG, SM, SMP, SW and CS ... and the small books (nightmares of mine f.i.) (and novels) ... and six (?) of the solo MERP books ... most of them in english AND in german (if translated), some of them twice or more in case of main rule books.

But I still miss Court of Ardor and Umbar, Haven of Corsairs to complete my collection. :-(

Plus: I do have an arms law of RM1, but nothing else for this system.
Currently DMing:
13th Age - Citystate of the Invincible Overlord
Fear Itself - Cthulhu adventures
Traveller - Tripwire
Rolemaster – Rise of the Runelords