Author Topic: Magical Power  (Read 3813 times)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Magical Power
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
+1 on that!
Game On!

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
GM can very much decide the power level of magic in the game. How many spells are available, magic items, books, anti-magic etc. I have been playing low and high magic campaigns with the same system.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
GM can very much decide the power level of magic in the game. How many spells are available, magic items, books, anti-magic etc. I have been playing low and high magic campaigns with the same system.

Since RM is all about versatility, I think this should be something that has the GM's ability to adjust it to suit his needs built in. We already have an overall "power" scale, yes? Have guidelines on how to apply it to list availability, to upper level limit, and to availability of specific individual spells.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »

Since RM is all about versatility, I think this should be something that has the GM's ability to adjust it to suit his needs built in. We already have an overall "power" scale, yes? Have guidelines on how to apply it to list availability, to upper level limit, and to availability of specific individual spells.

Agree. Having built-in guidelines for different power levels of magic would be good in the new RM.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
Agree. Having built-in guidelines for different power levels of magic would be good in the new RM.
Sounds like the Campaign Qualities of the Fantasy Craft & Spycraft systems. And I also think it would be a great idea - mainly for a Gamemaster's Law book.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.