Author Topic: Suggestions/Ideas Desired: The Way of Power  (Read 1615 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Suggestions/Ideas Desired: The Way of Power
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »
Here is an invasive idea I had last night that would not let me sleep until I made note of it on my tablet.  I am posting this under the main Rolemaster board since it could be applied in any version of RM.

The Way of Power

Especial Note: This is a WIP (work in progress).  When something seems to not make sense or seems incomplete, just remember that this is a WIP.  Additionally, remember that I just thought this up last night and formatted it for posting while wating for work to start.

You must master the 8 of the 3 in order to find the 1.

Body     Soul     Spirit
Speech     Thought     Anger
Hearing     Study     Meditation
Smell     Fasting     Prayer
Taste     Confession     Guidance
Sight     Submission     Solitude
Motion     Worship     Laughter
Action     Service     Celebration
Sleep     Love     Simplicity

The Three Mysteries

These are just some quick thoughts.

Mystery of the Body: First master the Speech of the unspeakable, Hear the silent, Smell the odorless, Taste that which is masked, and to See the unseen.  Mastering Motion is used to create the desired Action.  For restoration, Sleep.

Mystery of the Soul: One must first have Thought in order to Study.  Fasting is used for cleansing, Confession for admittance, and Submission for (?something).  Learn Worship to discover what is right.  Service to others for fulfillment.  And Love for the greatest joy.

Mystery of the Spirit: Learn control over one's Anger.  Learning Meditation allows one to discover proper Prayer for Guidance.  Solitude is used to learn Laughter in regard to all things before one can have Celebration and learning Simplicity.

Noticing the Triads

This is just my noticing how things are lining up into triads.  The two that stumped me are the two elemental triads.

States of Matter     Solid     Liquid     Gas
States of Energy     Matter     Fluid     Energy
States of Human     Body     Soul     Spirit
States of ??     Ice     Water     Fire
States of ??     Earth     Air     Light

Items Received with each Level

I have not completely thought of how to tie this in with the 8 of the 3 above, but I'll be contemplating it.  However, using the basic colors I listed, there are 8.  Just need a third item type to fully match up.

Color     Metal Link     Spherical Gem     (?something)
Red     Iron     Ruby     ?
Orange     Tin     ?     ?
Yellow     Gold     Topaz     ?
Green     Copper     Emerald     ?
Blue     Cobalt     Sapphire     ?
Violet     ?     Amethyst     ?
Black     Lead     Obsidian     ?
White     Silver     Quartz     ?

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Any help will be gladly accepted and contemplated.  Thanks.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Suggestions/Ideas Desired: The Way of Power
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »
the ones you're having problems with appear to be restatements of the first two:
ice is solid
water is liquid
fire is gas

States of Human should probably be Body-Mind-Soul, as spirit & soul are often considered the same thing.

Earth is matter
Air isn't exactly fluid, but it is treated that way in some instances
light is energy

So, do you really need the last two?

To me, stages of matter are stages of energy, these also correspond to the classical elements (to a point). But it doesn't fit with your triad theme, unless you can think of something to across (solid-earth-?, liquid-water-?)

SolidEarth
LiquidWater
GasAir
Plasma (energy)    Fire
Spirit/Soul

What about just using: color-metal-gem as your level triad?

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:54:54 AM »
Ok the first thing i need to know in order to help you is..
What is the agenda behind these divisions..
ultimately why are you defining them?

Is it schools of magic?
are they martial arts forms?
Are they religious institutions?
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
I personally would say that everything goes by five but... What Turbs said soever. We can give thoughts and ideas but what is the purpose or goal after which you are with your original ideas?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »
In Fire & Ice, the triad of fire-ice-water is the triad of temperature, while the triad of light-air-earth is the triad of space. See page 11. But loosely, fire is heat, ice is cold, water is the flow of both heat and cold. Light reveals space, air occupies it, earth fills it.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »
What it reminded me of was the sephiroth and the various interpretations and internal triangle relationships.

But yes the purpose would help.  I am also not sure the difference between spirit and soul unless you equate spirit with emotion.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
Thanks Turbs.  The questions are very apt.  To be honest, I have not thought about what this is about.  As said in initial post, it was an invasive thought that would not let me sleep until I at least wrote it down.  Thank goodness for those tablets.  I can keep one on my nightstand and grab and use it if needed.

Ultimately, I was thinking it might could be used in my Onaviu campaign as a method for teaching the Exemplars (natrually talented power users).

NanoEther,
As far as the Body-Mind-Spirit thing, most cultures view the mind as being part of the soul, but the spirit is something different.  In the cultures of Onaviu, they view the mind as leading the soul where the heart leads the spirit.  Fundamentally, there is a difference between the soul and the spirit.  I have not quite absolutely distinguished the difference yet, but I am still working on it.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll mull this over and post later.  Right now, I have a severe sinus infection and am going to the doctor at 1100hrs MDT (UTC -7).  Can't rightly think with the pressure and pain.

rmfr

P.S. - Take a look at power on Onaviu at http://www.conceptvisions.net84.net/MainInfo/12pcgen/RMUS/rmus.html.  Please note that this upload is little old.  I may get around to uploading the more recent version someday.  Thanks for patience.

P.P.S. - Ultimately, there is only one realm of power/magic on Onaviu: Power. 
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.