Author Topic: I thought HARP Fantasy was the new Rolemaster  (Read 1153 times)

Offline MrHemlocks

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I thought HARP Fantasy was the new Rolemaster
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
I have not played RM for MANY years and reading over the ICE site I'm starting to get interested in it again.

I thought HARP Fantasy was the newest RM core rules. Now I see that they are making an even newer RM. Why? Is it going to be released anytime soon? For I do not want to spend a ton of money and time in what I thought was the latest version of the game to find out it will soon be replaced my a newer RM soon

Someone help me out here?

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: I thought HARP Fantasy was the new Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
HARP is not a version of Rolemaster at all.  It has similar but similar mechanics and is designed to be a bit more Cinematic and a bit less Realistic.  It is a fun game but covers a bit different niche than does Rolemaster.
Currently RMU (Rolemaster Unified is in Beta Testing).  You can sign up to download a Free Copy of the Beta and join in the Playtesting of the next version of Rolemaster
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: I thought HARP Fantasy was the new Rolemaster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »
I have not played RM for MANY years and reading over the ICE site I'm starting to get interested in it again.

I thought HARP Fantasy was the newest RM core rules. Now I see that they are making an even newer RM. Why? Is it going to be released anytime soon? For I do not want to spend a ton of money and time in what I thought was the latest version of the game to find out it will soon be replaced my a newer RM soon

Someone help me out here?

HARP is a cousin of Rolemaster. It is aimed at being the high adventure game, still with criticals, skills, talents, etc., but with less granularity in the detail than Rolemaster. (For instance, skills only cost 2 DPs or 4 DPs according to your profession, there are fewer skills than RMSS say, spells are scalable individual items rather than spell lists, combat is one roll resolution, etc.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme