Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 286421 times)

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #1440 on: January 20, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »
I printed out Powers and SWMA4. Boy, did those use a lot of ink. I've since become a big fan of layered PDFs, where you can stop some layers from printing.

Agree with layered pdf's, also useful for maps, the same file can be the GM map and the handout for PC's, you can even keep adding things when they discover new places.
Ni!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1441 on: January 26, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
Today my copy of Jaiman arrived and ... well... not sure how to put it: It surpassed my expectations in every single aspect! Volume, detail, reference, color, plot hooks. You name it! I pulled my copies of the new Emer books off the shelf for some comparison and I am inclined to say that to me, this is the best Shadow World book to be released in the new series, period.

I can see that assembling this tome of information (CODEX is more fitting) must have been a long, arduous and painstakingly intense research and writing experience.

Chapeaux, good sir, to a work outstandingly done!

Well, thank you!  :) If you are so inclined, please write a review (or at least click a rating) at RPGNow.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1442 on: February 10, 2019, 06:05:44 AM »
Resumed statting NPCs for Haalkitaine. So many projects, kind of overwhelming. Many are partially done...
Haalkitaine.
Emer IV Adventure
Emer IV Book
Emer I 2nd Edition
Emer II 2nd Edition
NE Jaiman (Wuliris)
• Second Loremaster Legacy novel.
• Editing Lethys
• Probably others I cannot recall now...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1443 on: February 11, 2019, 04:00:11 AM »

• Probably others I cannot recall now...

Cornering the worlds supply of Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz is in there somewhere I am sure.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1444 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:37 AM »
The completion of Haalkitaine is in sight!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1445 on: February 13, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Awesome. Why you up so early? (Insert big grin emoji here: I still cannot use them.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1446 on: February 13, 2019, 09:45:41 AM »
Awesome. Why you up so early? (Insert big grin emoji here: I still cannot use them.)

I dunno, I get into a cycle where I am up between midnight and 3 am, and crawl in bed early and watch TV. But I do my best work early in the morning, so no worries.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1447 on: February 13, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
The completion of Haalkitaine is in sight!

Now that is awesome news!  What perfect timing too. 
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1448 on: February 14, 2019, 07:34:57 AM »
It is fascinating to me that the PDFs of the Rolemaster Classic (RM2?) remain top sellers on RPGNow after all these years.

https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/461/Iron-Crown-Enterprises
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1449 on: February 14, 2019, 07:53:21 AM »
It is fascinating to me that the PDFs of the Rolemaster Classic (RM2?) remain top sellers on RPGNow after all these years.

All of us die-hard players have books that are 30 years old.  The binding quality back then was horrible.   Spell Law, ChL&CaL, RMC-I, RMC-II, Elemental companion...  The pages just fell right out of the books.  AL&Cl was stapled, but the middle 2-3 pages fell out of mine.  The staples rusted over the years and the paper wore out at the staple.

Finding replacement hardcopies is challenging, maybe expensive too and you have to wait for shipping.  PDF's are the fast, easy replacement.  I'm not a fan of PDF's though, so I look for the hardcopies :)

The new players I've been introducing to RM2 have been getting PDFs.  Maybe those higher stats are my fault. :)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #1450 on: February 14, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
I like books during play, but PDFs are super convenient with the search function and bookmarking.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1451 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
I like books during play, but PDFs are super convenient with the search function and bookmarking.

I would love to have the PDF version when I travel.  I don't want to risk my books being damaged or lost.  The obvious savings in space an weight helps too.  The downside, I would need to carry a heavy laptop computer. LOL.  I don't have those nice little tablets and e-readers.  I don't travel enough to warrant the e-reader and PDFs though.  Still hardcopies for me.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1452 on: February 14, 2019, 11:45:58 AM »
Like many older players, I've got most of the original soft-cover books and modules (at least pre-95). However, I don't like to use them much (as others have noted) due to fragility.  The PDF's are nice, even if they are only scanned, as they travel easy, and are searchable. I even print a few and use my coil binding machine to bind them up, giving me the same material at the table without the wear-and-tear.

Of course some aren't so great (such as my recent purchase of "School of Hard Knocks: The Skill Companion").  I simply re-OCR'd and scanned it in a full blown PDF editor, and it was golden.  Used the heck out of those "Example Difficulties" to supplement RMU skill descriptions for my new players.  ;D
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1453 on: February 14, 2019, 01:08:21 PM »
Like many older players, I've got most of the original soft-cover books and modules (at least pre-95). However, I don't like to use them much (as others have noted) due to fragility.  The PDF's are nice, even if they are only scanned, as they travel easy, and are searchable. I even print a few and use my coil binding machine to bind them up, giving me the same material at the table without the wear-and-tear.

Of course some aren't so great (such as my recent purchase of "School of Hard Knocks: The Skill Companion").  I simply re-OCR'd and scanned it in a full blown PDF editor, and it was golden.  Used the heck out of those "Example Difficulties" to supplement RMU skill descriptions for my new players.  ;D

Yeah back when I worked at a print shop, I trimmed all my old Rolemaster RM2 (red binding) books and coil bound them. So much easier to use than perfect binding.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #1454 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »
Okay, I know it has been years, but I am officially back to working on the 2nd Shadowstone novel in the trilogy, (while I finish the Haalkitaine adventures, and work on the short EMER IV adventure...). The WORD file is open.

As I have said, most of Book II ("Secret Circle") is done, but some chapters are incomplete. Book III is tentatively named "The Soul Sword."

First I need to re-read the first book to get my bearings!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1455 on: February 14, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »

Yeah back when I worked at a print shop, I trimmed all my old Rolemaster RM2 (red binding) books and coil bound them. So much easier to use than perfect binding.

Coil binding would be awesome!  I did photocopies of relevant material and stuck them in sheet protectors in 3-ring binders.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #1456 on: February 14, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
I coil bound a few PDFs I printed out. Emer I and II, SWMA 4, Powers, the Guild Companions. I also have the coil-bound Haalkitaine.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1457 on: February 14, 2019, 06:15:42 PM »

It's still the best version of Rolemaster. ;D

PDF's are the reason I wanted to see all the old books brought back though. Setting aside the binding issues, being able to highlight and make notes is a huge plus. I object to marking up or dogearing books on religious grounds too.

Having all the books on tablet along with Scrivener is nice too. I can work on my campaigns anywhere, and have my RPG library as a reference.

Looking forward to the sequels, and it's worth re-reading for its own sake. You're a great storyteller.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1458 on: February 14, 2019, 09:11:29 PM »
Coil binding would be awesome!  I did photocopies of relevant material and stuck them in sheet protectors in 3-ring binders.
I have to admit I was a late-comer to the idea, but am a convert now. A few months ago I found a nice GBC Combine C20 on ShopGoodwill that was $10, with $15 in shipping.  I've used it to make a bunch of physical reference copies of PDF's, and all my players have coil-bound character binders. The players binders have the basics; Character sheet, attack, crit and fumble tables, skill sheets, spell references, etc...  When something changes, then the binder allows us to reopen the coil, replace the sheets, and seal it right back up. You can also put heavier covers over them (clear or not), and simple overhead transparency plastic sheets in front of certain pages so the players can use markers to annotate their sheets, instead of pencil.

Earned lots of dirty looks from other GM's when they started boasting of it though. LOL. =D
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #1459 on: February 14, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
Okay, I know it has been years, but I am officially back to working on the 2nd Shadowstone novel in the trilogy, (while I finish the Haalkitaine adventures, and work on the short EMER IV adventure...). The WORD file is open.

As I have said, most of Book II ("Secret Circle") is done, but some chapters are incomplete. Book III is tentatively named "The Soul Sword."

Huzzah!  Best news I've had all week.  My wife will be thrilled (she's about finished the first one now), and has seemed to enjoy it greatly.  Of course I've had to answer questions like "why does that sword the crazy guy have sound a lot like a light saber?" (sigh...."Asimov and Fritz Leiber....  "  ::)