Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 286355 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #340 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Still on this Jaiman adventure, which has now bloated up to 44+ pages (how does this happen?), but have been bouncing back and forth between that and other things. There are now 20 adventures/adventure ideas, so I am going to need to pare that down some...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #341 on: March 11, 2014, 03:07:52 AM »
Still on this Jaiman adventure, which has now bloated up to 44+ pages (how does this happen?), but have been bouncing back and forth between that and other things. There are now 20 adventures/adventure ideas, so I am going to need to pare that down some...
They don't need to be completely fleshed out, just good story hooks and info on locations and NPCs / Creatures. But, if you are fully fleshing them out, I won't complain...  ;D and the more the merrier.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #342 on: March 11, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
They don't need to be completely fleshed out, just good story hooks and info on locations and NPCs / Creatures. But, if you are fully fleshing them out, I won't complain...  ;D and the more the merrier.

Thanks! I need all the encouragement I can get.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:36 PM »
Go Terry, go!  :)

Well, if the idea is to have Ready-to-run adventures for SW, then I encourage the greatest level of detail possible in order to alleviate the GM's time investment.

Having said that, and with my hard copy of Emer III soon to be in my hands, it's time to crack the whip on Terry and get those Emer I & II revisions done, as well as Emer IV under way. I want a complete continent to run a campaign in, not an invisible line the players can't cross.  :D

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
Go Terry, go!  :)

Well, if the idea is to have Ready-to-run adventures for SW, then I encourage the greatest level of detail possible in order to alleviate the GM's time investment.

Having said that, and with my hard copy of Emer III soon to be in my hands, it's time to crack the whip on Terry and get those Emer I & II revisions done, as well as Emer IV under way. I want a complete continent to run a campaign in, not an invisible line the players can't cross.  :D

RE the adventures, since I now have about 20 adventure ideas noted, I think I might try to flesh out the first 8-10 in detail, and leave the rest as Adventure Hooks with just a few notes. Otherwise this thing will never be done.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #345 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
That sounds like a great plan, TKA.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
Been under the weather the last few days, but back at work now. Adventures are hard to write!  :'(
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
Yes adventures are very hard to write ... and be somewhat good. I really feel for you as it is no small task to write an adventure.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
..RE the adventures, since I now have about 20 adventure ideas noted, I think I might try to flesh out the first 8-10 in detail, and leave the rest as Adventure Hooks with just a few notes. Otherwise this thing will never be done.

Score! :) Nice. Perhaps there are SW minions out there who can (later) pick up on the ideas and expand them further.
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »
Thanks to you meddling kids  ;) (see the Emer II thread), I have paused in my work on the Gryphonburgh adventure (I was kind of stuck on the adventures anyway) and been slaving madly away on the Emer II revision for the last few days. It's already ballooned up from 132 to almost 200 pages, and I have several more pages of adventure material for this one to do. Sigh.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:23:24 AM by Terry K. Amthor »
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #350 on: March 30, 2014, 03:38:43 AM »
Slogging through Emer II, and actually making good progress the last couple of days. Revised Lankani done, Nuyani almost done, then need to finish up the Namari, other powers, and of course adventures.

(PS, do you all like reading these updates or are they just echoing somewhere? Some authors blog about their progress; I like to use the forum to ramble a bit when I take a break.)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »
I like reading them. Updates show that stuff is progressing.

Incidentally, have you thought about doing any playtesting?
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
I like reading them...and I HATE reading them.   Really, another revision to taunt my addiction wallet curiosity, such an easy string of mine to manipulate, you...artistic psychic vampire  >:(

Yet I do enjoy your work, and while my shadow world is different than your cannon, it is 100% inspired by your cannon.  So update away!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Der Graumantel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #353 on: March 30, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
Love reading those! Always happy for an update keep them coming. Wow, my first post here in years, hehe:)
GM does not stand for Gentleman

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
Welcome back Der Graumantel.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #355 on: March 31, 2014, 03:37:20 AM »
I like reading them. Updates show that stuff is progressing.

Incidentally, have you thought about doing any playtesting?

I would love to run an online game or playtest or demo, maybe using Fantasy Grounds (I played in a demo a while back and really enjoyed it), but I am lazy and would probably want an assistant to handle the mechanics while I provided the maps and stats and such up front and ran the scenario while the assistant helped manage any combat encounters.

Otherwise, a play-by email Shadow World concept intrigues me, using almost no system. I played in a Kult (modern horror, I edited the US edition back in the 90's) play-by-email game years ago and it was exceptionally fun. I don't even remember who ran it, but I played washed-up former boyband member Jonathan Knight and started out lost somewhere outside Vegas at an abandoned gas station with nothing but a convertible and a little money (sounds a little Route 66?), and then the horror started. But that's another story.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2014, 04:48:48 AM »
I think Combat Minion can handle much of the mechanics of running a game.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
I played in a Kult (modern horror, I edited the US edition back in the 90's) play-by-email game years ago and it was exceptionally fun.
You did?

(Runs to bookshelf, grabs copy and flips it open to credits page. "Oh." Runs back to computer. [OK, run was little over the top for my hobbling gait.  ;D])

Yup, so you did. I like the rules system on that game - not so much the setting, it was a little too angels/demons/sadomasochism for me. I prefer the "monster hunter" type settings like the old Chill RPG. But, as I said, I really like the rules system as I like games where there are levels of success not just yes/no.

I would be interested in a play-by-post of Shadow World, ran by its author. I have barely scratched the surface of PBP, but I am willing to give it a go.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
I played in a Kult (modern horror, I edited the US edition back in the 90's) play-by-email game years ago and it was exceptionally fun.
You did?

(Runs to bookshelf, grabs copy and flips it open to credits page. "Oh." Runs back to computer. [OK, run was little over the top for my hobbling gait.  ;D])

Yup, so you did. I like the rules system on that game - not so much the setting, it was a little too angels/demons/sadomasochism for me. I prefer the "monster hunter" type settings like the old Chill RPG. But, as I said, I really like the rules system as I like games where there are levels of success not just yes/no.

I would be interested in a play-by-post of Shadow World, ran by its author. I have barely scratched the surface of PBP, but I am willing to give it a go.

Yes Kult was pretty intense for me. Actually they approached ICE to do it, but some in the company were against it, so we formed a separate company. I preferred the psychological aspects of it (a la Twin Peaks or Cthulhu) to the more blood-and-gore 'Hellraiser' aspect, but it was an interesting change from my usual Fantasy/SF rpg.

As for PBemail, we'll see. One of the interesting things about it was that sometimes you did not know if you were dealing with another PC or an NPC, because it was all filtered through the GM. A couple times we actually had a live session in an AOL chatroom (the internet was young and AOL was powerful; who else remembers the big gaming spaces on AOL back in the day?), that was fun.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #359 on: April 02, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
PBEM-wise - head on over to -- http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php?action=forum - all sorts of HARP and Rolemaster going on there (am in 3 games currently).
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **