Author Topic: Need help on starting a campaign  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Althalus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Need help on starting a campaign
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:54:04 AM »
Hi Guys!

i haven't visited the forum for some time now, and dint play RM for some time as well.

I hope someone could recommend my the books i need to start, and have a successful fantasy campaign.

i know i need :
Char law
Arms Law
Spell law
Creatures and treasures
where I'm at a loss is i need books describing a world for the game to take place and several books describing adventures/scenarios in that realm and all the books i need to understand and be able to make a game in a given world, i don't even know what worlds are developed for rolemaster.
I have never played a scenario made by someone else on RM, but tried it on warhammer fantasy and i think its a great experience.

so please help me find the books i need.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Need help on starting a campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 05:30:05 AM »
 It sounds like you are using RMC or maybe the Beta of RMU but a world IMHO would be Shadow World.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
Shadow World is the premier fantasy setting for Rolemaster. On this world of Kulthea there are more than a dozen continents although the vast majority of material written has been for the large middle continent of Emer and its neighbor to the north, Jaiman.

For more information you can visit it's page on the website:

http://ironcrown.com/shadowworld/

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
Have to agree with Colin.  It's more RM2 oriented, but there is a load of material out there for it and RM2 material is easy enough to covert over to RMSS if needed.  If I didn't use my own setting that or Middle-Earth is likely what I would use.

I would also recommend looking into Echoes of Heaven by Robert Defendi.  Good options there too.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Althalus

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:08 AM »
hi giys!

thanks for your responses.

I bout: Shadow World Player Guide - The World( http://www.rpgnow.com/product/83779/Shadow-World-Player-Guide---The-World?src=s_pi&filters=0_0_0_0 ) yesterday to check out if i like the setting.

one other question though:

i plan on using these rulebooks:
Rolemaster Classic Character Law/arms law/etc.  - is this system compatible with Shadow world books?
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/88652/Rolemaster-Classic-Character-Law?filters=0_0_0_0

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:15:33 AM »
RMC is pretty much an updated version of RM2, which means it should be even more compatible than RMSS/FRP, so you shouldn't have much problem.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Shadow World went to RM2/RMC when it became available (it may have been part of the impetus behind adopting its conventions). So yes, Shadow World is RMC compatible, even un-updated modules/guides. With the exception of the old lore-master series, which are RM1; main difference is that you have more skills & professions available.
You should note that SW does not really get behind the hybrid casters, but there are some options there. Amthor normally has them chose one of those realms, if you take this tact you need to adjust some of the profession costs to those of a pure user, but this is covered elsewhere.
But you can run the game anyway you want.