Author Topic: Campaign Classics  (Read 2201 times)

Offline peacekeeper_b

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Deus Vult!"
Campaign Classics
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
Is there anyway to get a hand on the old campaign classics? Pirates? Robin Hood? Mythic Greece? Mythic Egypt? Vikings? Without paying $40 on amazon or ebay? Any PDFs for these with the HERO stats/rules removed?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Campaign Classics
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »
Most of the rights for the various products reverted back to the authors when previous incarnations of ICE went under.  So they have to find the past authors first (which is hard to impossible in some cases), then get those authors to somehow work out a new arrangement (which can be hard to impossible in some cases), then figure out how to not spend a bunch of resources putting out something that is unlikely to make much profit.

For example, when the 1st incarnation of ICE went under the rights for the Channeling Companion reverted by to my co-author and I.  The second incarnation was attempting to regain those rights from us for several years, but to make a long story short that never happened.  The third incarnation of ICE (the currently one) came to a rather quick agreement with us on it.

Other books the authors can't be found (I think the Martial Arts Companion is an example there), are uninterested in bothering with it, heck some might even be dead.  There are threads in these and other forums created specifically for trying to track many of them down and I think the newest ICE has made much better progress.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline peacekeeper_b

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Deus Vult!"
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
So, pay the $30 LOL

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »
 I have some doubles and triples but I am not going to just give them away, most are used but in good condition. If you are serious send me a PM and we will talk.

On a side note, try and find book stores with used game books (just books not game stores), and game stores with stacks of older books. But again I think you are going to be paying more than cover prince and maybe even a premium on top of that depending on the popularity of the book.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »
I picked up a copy of "Pirates" here not to long ago:

Wayne's Books
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
 I see Time Riders and War Law there which are both hard books to find.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
I saw an "At Rapiers Point" for $25 recently if anyone is interested I can point you in it's direction...
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:37:11 PM »
I was given a copy of Mythic Greece on these forums, and now my niece is running a bronze age game with it (very Percy Jackson esque since she is 13).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Archrist

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
After 15+ years of playing this game (and now 15 years later) I am suprised that it is still going.
Old books, my friends and I have them all. We wrote several of them. RMC was the author's initials.
I think are names are listed on the inside cover of RMC2.
I still "play" to this day with the same bunch, online with newer games.
I am thinking of going back to it, but there is so much to relearn the mechanics.
At the end, I had the rule books down to about 8 cheat sheets and the small critical hits chart.
Everything else was reduced to calculators and random number generator program (roll dice).
The best campain ever was Ardor, after growing up in Bree and the Trollshaws.

Never give up, just remember that today is a good day to die.  ;)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
I was given a copy of Mythic Greece on these forums, and now my niece is running a bronze age game with it (very Percy Jackson esque since she is 13).

I ran a Mythic Greece campaign once very similar to the Hercules and Xena shows, before the shows existed.  Mythic Greece kind of lends itself rather easily for such campaign types.  Although kind of unrealistic, my campaign was LOADS of fun and good times with role playing FtF.

And I still own a copy.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »
used book stores and game stores on the coasts tend to be the best locations to find older titles for a reasonable price. Sometimes you can find good deals at conventions. There's one booth that hits GenCon that often has older titles for for cheap, but you have to go through literally thousands of books to find what's available there. Of course there are other sellers that have better organization, but they're often priced higher.