Author Topic: Phase Stop - Really nasty spell??  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Phase Stop - Really nasty spell??
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
There is a spell I think it is on the Etheral Mastery list that causes a person to be taken out of time and space for I think it is a round per level, I could be wrong on the time.  I was just wondering just how powerful that spell could be.  If you were to be removed from where you were, could you not stay where you were while the remainder of the world/universe continues?  The earth spins at almost 1,527 feet per sec, this is from wiki.  So one round, figured at 10 secs each would be a shift of almost 3 miles in a round, nice for getting out of the way of something. 
But also, even better would be that the earth travels around the sun at almost 18 miles a sec, per wiki, so that would be 180 miles, of course you would probably end up in space, a long way from home, if you were on the back side of the earth, if you were on the front you would go splat inside the molton core.
Now, if this were true, you could use a ranging spell to take from self to touch and really put a hurt on a target.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Phase Stop - Really nasty spell??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »
Pretty sure the intention is that you end up where you disappeared from relative to the surface of the planet itself.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
Yeah, I know but just think if you could get the GM to go along.  I got that from reading a book the other day where the main character had some grenades that would throw the target into a place outside of time and space like the spell says and the effect was as I described.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
Yeah, I know but just think if you could get the GM to go along.  I got that from reading a book the other day where the main character had some grenades that would throw the target into a place outside of time and space like the spell says and the effect was as I described.

Well, if you GM allows Teleport as an attack spell ... :D
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
This presumes the earth goes around the sun. If the sun goes around the earth in the setting, it may be a disappointment to the anachronistically-minded mage.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »
There is a spell I think it is on the Etheral Mastery list that causes a person to be taken out of time and space for I think it is a round per level, I could be wrong on the time.  I was just wondering just how powerful that spell could be.  If you were to be removed from where you were, could you not stay where you were while the remainder of the world/universe continues?  The earth spins at almost 1,527 feet per sec, this is from wiki.  So one round, figured at 10 secs each would be a shift of almost 3 miles in a round, nice for getting out of the way of something.
I always cringe when people try and put real world ideas/physics into a roleplaying game; like the other thread on hit points. If you were to use this interpretation then most of the transport spells in the game would be difficult to use. However, to counter this argument and keeping the real world phyics; the Teleport spells keep momentum when you re-appear. If you jump of a cliff, and teleport half way down you merely reduce the height of the fall. Teleport is a dimensional jump like phase shift, therefore it is not a stretch to apply this same logic. Another way of looking at it is that when this spell was first developed people didn't keep their momentum and died when re-appearing. Their colleagues redesigned the spell to make it safer. They then used the failed spell to inspire the destructive displacements spell list.
However if you can extend the range from self to 10' then the level 5 Phasing spell is great when cast at the charging ogre! :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist