Author Topic: Lycanthropy infection  (Read 1597 times)

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lycanthropy infection
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:44 PM »
The creature book lists the percentage chance of infection from each type of Lycanthrope.  So once infected is there another disease resistance roll and if so what level?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Lycanthropy infection
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »
I have always played once infected, the disease runs it course.  There is no resistaning if you get infected, sort of like a bullet to the head cannot be resisted.  Well, maybe by a werecreature.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »
When I have handled lycanthropy as a disease, I have allowed a disease RR to not get infected.

When I have handled lycanthropy as a curse, I have allowed a Channeling RR to not get cursed.

Your method is up to you if you are the GM.  Otherwise, it is up to your GM.

Then again, I have also handled it like yammahopper.  It runs it course and is only curable through magic such as "Ensorcellment Cure."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
Well in my campaign I through in a monkey wrench (don't we all?).  I have three methods of contracting Lycanthropy.

1)  It is a disease.  In this case I give a Disease RR.  Depending on the Lycanthrope depends on the RR.
2)  It is a curse.  In this case I give a RR against the Realm of the curse.  OD course this means there are mods for this RR and it is very difficult.
3)  I have a Lycanthorpic (Is that word....is now) race.  THey can pass on the "Gift" to a willing member of another race.  In this case there is no RR.

To date only one player has ever gone route #3.  And I then married her.  LOL

Offline Nortti

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »
In my game:

A werewolf has magical abilities. Transformation to a lycanthrope brings those magical features. Werewolf is not just an animal and lycanthropy is not just a disease.  Therefore a cleric or a paladin should have much better chances to resist the affliction than lets say a fighter with high constitution. Werewolf might just try to kill the cleric as it knows cleric probably cannot be changed to a lycanthrope.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
I have a number of types of Lycanthropes, and I don't tell the players what type they've run into, they have to figure it out:
Curse: may be Transmittable or Confined (non-transmittable)
Disease: treated as a blood disease
Birth: racial sub-type, may be transmittable or not

There can be overlap, a player in a friends game is suffering from a curse one of his ancestors acquired: it is only passed down through the male descendent's. This is primarily a confined transmission curse, but it is also by birth.
The disease form can be treated as an STD, where it may not only have a chance to infect the mother, it also has a chance to infect the child (which is a good explanation for where birth lycanthropes originate from)