Author Topic: Different Mod to bow and arrows idea  (Read 1447 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Different Mod to bow and arrows idea
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:07:19 AM »
 Thinking about bows, % action as well as material and quality bonuses got me thinking about this for RM(XY).
Idea #1:
What about if we use the bow/firearm bonus to determine the ability to hit and the ammo bonus for damage? I know this is not a perfect solution to the problem but I might give it a try.
  Example: Joe Donuts has a +5 bow  and +10 arrow, So he rolls to see if he can hit his target, a picture of cinnamon and powered sugar French Toast. He rolls a 90 adds his mods including the +5 for the bow, the chart says it a hit, but since the ammo has a higher bonus than the weapon, he adds the difference of +5 and reads the result.
  Example: Using the same stats as above but having a +0 arrow would have Mr. Donuts lower his roll, but not to the point of doing no damage as the bonus of the weapon (bow) says he hit his target.

Idea #2:
 Like Idea #1 above but use the best of the two mods as to hit the target it takes bot a good weapon and good ammo and then adjust the damage result down for the lower of the two.

Idea #3:
 This uses the same idea as #2 but you use the smallest of the two mods and adjust up for the other superior item 

Thoughts?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Different Mod to bow and arrows idea
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
Thinking about bows, % action as well as material and quality bonuses got me thinking about this for RM(XY).
Idea #1:
What about if we use the bow/firearm bonus to determine the ability to hit and the ammo bonus for damage? I know this is not a perfect solution to the problem but I might give it a try.

That is how I have done.
Mods for the bow modify the OB.  Mods for arrows modify concussion hits caused and adjusted the critical.

A +10 bow gives a +10 to the OB to hit.  A +10 arrow adds +10 hits and a +2 to the critical roll, but does NOT add to the OB to hit.

Crit Mod = (arrow mod) / 5.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
Interesting, fellows.

Bonus on arrows = bonus hits. I think I could get behind this, for my games.

Then the arrow can further mod the crit; like Ambush..  ??? IDK. At first glance, that is pretty tough. It would change things a bit, for archers. I'd like to see how much it affects play.

This makes magic arrows a bit more lethal!

I wouldn't mod the crit for thrown daggers, shurikens, etc., so I don't know if I'd mod the crit for arrows, slings, bolts, atlal propelled javelins. But it is darn interesting!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
I'd like to see how much it affects play.

Been nice if you could have seen my wife and I use it.  Our players loved it.  Needless to say, they did not like the obverse effect though.  And could never figure out why. :o

Of course, I also ruled that if the arrow was broken, the magic was also broken.  Except if the magic was ONLY in the arrowhead, and not both the head and shaft.  That always led to the fun part of the archer NEEDING to retrieve all his spent arrows.  Sometimes led to fun when the magic arrowhead broke off inside the enemy's body.  Surgery anyone?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Sometimes led to fun when the magic arrowhead broke off inside the enemy's body.  Surgery anyone?
Well, since you aren't too worried about hurting the "patient" I don't think you really need the surgery skill. (Which I am sure you understand.)

This is similar to something I posed a while back, though not very seriously, just as a "hhhmmmmm." All of the weapon bonus is only applied after the attack has hit, like the size mod in HARP. That way you don't have OBs getting outrageous, missing is a bit more common (like in real fights), but when that cool +30 magical sword does connect, well, look out.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.