Author Topic: Am I missing something? maneuver difficulties.  (Read 1847 times)

Offline LearningTheGame

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Am I missing something? maneuver difficulties.
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
Hi everyone.

I am somewhat confused with the maneuver's difficulties.

The static maneuver's table states that you need a 111 result to accomplish an action if it is "medium difficulty" (+0).

It means that assuming a "medium roll ( 50 )" a character should have 15 ranks in that skill  @.@

Arent difficulties terribly high in this game? Is it something i am missing?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Am I missing something? maneuver difficulties.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
Hi everyone.

I am somewhat confused with the maneuver's difficulties.

The static maneuver's table states that you need a 111 result to accomplish an action if it is "medium difficulty" (+0).

It means that assuming a "medium roll ( 50 )" a character should have 15 ranks in that skill  @.@

Arent difficulties terribly high in this game? Is it something i am missing?

1) Assuming you have 10 ranks in a skill +50, taking 1 round to take your time +10, you would need a roll of 51 to accomplish a medium task. That is without any stat bonuses or any talents that might come into play.
2) In RMSS I generally start PC's out at 3rd to 5th level and use the lower levels for complete untrained "noobs".
3) IMHO is it too high? No it is right where it should be as it takes time to learn a skill to be able to accomplish meaningful things. It is not just "ka-bam", I now know how to do things.
4) Yes it is different from a lot of games like D&D and others that grant you vast improvements at the first learning point.
5) I have found that it works great for the type of game I like to run and my players love it also. Yes at the beginning my players look at it a little funny be grew to love it very much as it simulated RL very well. 

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
Keep in mind that a Medium Difficulty is still a task that is far more difficult than a Casual or Simple Maneuver.  It is generally the kind of task that would be almost impossible for someone who has never trained in the associated skill before, while a casual difficulty skill is pretty easy to do even with almost no training.

If you find that the players are missing most of their attemps despite good rolls - then downgrade your difficulty levels by a rank or two.   Perhaps your players are trying to do the extreme heroic actions, and if that is what you want, a 1 or 2 difficulty level shift should permit it.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:58:40 AM »
 I have found that if I explained it top the players or game them examples that were not life threatening then they could make good decisions for their characters.
 But if the various difficulty levels were not explained then it became a problem for the players and sometimes for the GM also.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline LearningTheGame

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:36:14 AM »

1) Assuming you have 10 ranks in a skill +50, taking 1 round to take your time +10, you would need a roll of 51 to accomplish a medium task. That is without any stat bonuses or any talents that might come into play.

+10 if you take a round of preparation? Where can i find this rule?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

+10 if you take a round of preparation? Where can i find this rule?

Ahhh,
 A simple question of a rule that I have been using for a long time. I do not have the page # right now as I am away from my books but IIRC it should be on the Skill Mod chart to round actions. I also had a friend make a custom GM screen for me way back when (just charts cut and pasted together laid over an older very sturdy GM screen.

If I do not get back to you in a could of days please send me a PM to thump this old skull.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
In RMSS, any action outside of combat (or otherwise rushed) would be done as a Deliberate action and get the +10 from that.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Morgian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
Also, consider that many actions do not require a roll unless it entails some risk, and that many are also routine maneuvers unless under stress (p. 58, first paragraph).
I think it should be stressed in the first sentence there, that the GM should think first and ask for rolls second. I have seen some gaming sessions dominated by rolls for things I would not even consider - like getting the attention of the landlord in a pub to get a beer, if you can open your backpack, or fall down when going up the stairs to your room. But some people seem to really enjoy that kind of thing  ::)

Anyway...try to get by with the minimum number of skill rolls, it will still be quite a few  ;)