Author Topic: RMU Single Volume?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline wlewisiii

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Single Volume?
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
I've been following the playtest and like what I see so far.

That said, one of the biggest issues I've had trying to sell RM in the past is the large number of books. Is there any chance for a single volume that encapsulates RMU up to 10th level like the old RM:FRP did for RMSS? Spell lists only to 10th level, a selection of lower powered critters, simple treasures, possibly an intro adventure as the last chapter? Keep the rules exactly the same, just put in a smaller amount of "stuff" to keep it to about 250 pages.

I might actually have better luck at getting some people interested if they didn't feel they "had" to buy Character Law, Arms Law & Spell Law just to get started. The "Chartmaster" reputation is hard enough to overcome. (I had that come up simply on mentioning the playtest - "Oh, Chartmaster still exists?")

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU Single Volume?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
I would have to second the FRP idea. I like the full stand alone books as a DM but when I get a new player they always liked just getting the nice condensed FRP for themselves when they started. Just make sure its exactly the same material in a compressed form and it becomes a gateway drug lol

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
That is good idea. If I was new player/GM the thought of buying all the books and then not liking the game would scare me off a bit.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »
Perhaps, they already planned such once they get the three books cleared from Beta.  But I do agree, a single volume containing compressed versions of all three would be a gateway drug (to steal Keen_Man's term).

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
See http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=12229.msg155508#msg155508

To quote Nicholas Caldwell: "Five books - Arms Law, Character Law, Spell Law, Creature Law and Treasure Law. There will be an Intro all-in-one book later but this will be later, not now, given that everyone can playtest the entire rule set."
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline HighNDry

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
That is a great idea. Especially with PDFs being so easy for a player to purchase. Sending someone you just met a 'this is all you need' link could get people interested.

Offline wlewisiii

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
See http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=12229.msg155508#msg155508

To quote Nicholas Caldwell: "Five books - Arms Law, Character Law, Spell Law, Creature Law and Treasure Law. There will be an Intro all-in-one book later but this will be later, not now, given that everyone can playtest the entire rule set."

I am glad to hear that they have considered this already. And, during the playtest, sure the files are easily available. However, soon enough, the playtest will be over and those of us would be GM's are going to be trying to convince people to give this game a try.

A single book (or pdf) will go a long way to making this game be more than just a little bit of nostalgia for the RM Grognards.

Offline MDillenbeck

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »
I am going to argue an Intro all-in-one book is not a great idea.  How many players have you known invest in an intro system then eventually go to buy a five volume full rule set?  I, personally, never have - when I buy a light system I tend to stick with it and invest my money in a new game because I have already deemed the full rules to be too expensive.

Of all the factors in RMU, the five volume set is my biggest factor in not buying it - unless these books are around $5-10 each, which I strongly doubt they will be.  I'm looking for what reinvents RM and creates value for my purchase - otherwise I might as well use RM2 or RMSS or MERP or HARP if there is no significant improvement on the system.  This is only my personal opinion - others find it refreshing enough to buy.  I was hoping their hints at Arms Law wowing us with some new fighter stuff would pull me in, but it didn't.  Now it is left to Creature Law and Treasure Law to do that - and I'm not holding my breath.

Worse, I feel like they are asking me to rebuy their entire product line.  They are not drawing on their vast repository of rules - it feels like they are going back to RM2 and tweaking it with a few RMSS core book things... then asking me to rebuy all the companions.  I'd rather see a solid single rule book that incorporates lots of the rules and new novel companion books come out.

I am really worried that for the next few years all we will see is a re-release of the same books many of us already own along with one or two new ideas slipped in.  I guess I am just not willing to pay to rebuy my old books with a few trivial changes - I would want the game to be a condensation of what came before and to move in a new direction.

I also really worry how many gamers out there are going to buy into a 5 volume game system.  I mean, buy a book and start playing?  Sure.  Buy and read 5 books to start playing?  I don't see that happening very often anymore.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:14:09 AM »
I am going to argue an Intro all-in-one book is not a great idea.  How many players have you known invest in an intro system then eventually go to buy a five volume full rule set?  I, personally, never have - when I buy a light system I tend to stick with it and invest my money in a new game because I have already deemed the full rules to be too expensive.

Of all the factors in RMU, the five volume set is my biggest factor in not buying it - unless these books are around $5-10 each, which I strongly doubt they will be.  I'm looking for what reinvents RM and creates value for my purchase - otherwise I might as well use RM2 or RMSS or MERP or HARP if there is no significant improvement on the system.  This is only my personal opinion - others find it refreshing enough to buy.  I was hoping their hints at Arms Law wowing us with some new fighter stuff would pull me in, but it didn't.  Now it is left to Creature Law and Treasure Law to do that - and I'm not holding my breath.

Worse, I feel like they are asking me to rebuy their entire product line.  They are not drawing on their vast repository of rules - it feels like they are going back to RM2 and tweaking it with a few RMSS core book things... then asking me to rebuy all the companions.  I'd rather see a solid single rule book that incorporates lots of the rules and new novel companion books come out.

I am really worried that for the next few years all we will see is a re-release of the same books many of us already own along with one or two new ideas slipped in.  I guess I am just not willing to pay to rebuy my old books with a few trivial changes - I would want the game to be a condensation of what came before and to move in a new direction.

I also really worry how many gamers out there are going to buy into a 5 volume game system.  I mean, buy a book and start playing?  Sure.  Buy and read 5 books to start playing?  I don't see that happening very often anymore.

+1.

Except I agree with a single book with ready to play ruleset.  The dedicated will already buy the five.  New blood needs to be inspired to collect/enhance/expand.

I will add one more thing.  I worry about the lack of market strategy I see. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline HighNDry

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:16 PM »
I agree that an 'intro' or basic book isn't going to fix it. Seeing how many big hardback supplements sell at $50 a pop, I'd like to see a Rolemaster Complete tome like that. Incorporating all 4 laws & C&Treasures. Then break it up into the 4 softbacks for those that want separate books later. Having 1 book would be easier to sell to new people.