Author Topic: Short questions/quick answers.  (Read 2590 times)

Offline LearningTheGame

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Short questions/quick answers.
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
Hi everyone.

I've opened this thread because I'm sure I will be having lots of questions until I trully understand how the game works and I don't want to disturb other members filling the forums with lots of posts.

So I'll use this thread to post all my doubts as they come. Hope you can help me. Lots of thanks beforehand.

Offline LearningTheGame

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Short questions/quick answers.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »
In RMFRP Core rules book 8.4  (page 33) has an example on body development.

Varak has 69 hits...Shouldn't it be 75?

10 (base) + 18 (Twice Co modifier) + 0 (Once SD modifier) + 5 (Ranger bonus) + 42 ( 6 ranks, 7 each due to being high man 0.7.5.3.1 ) = 75

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
The proof reader either fumbled his basic math roll or lacked (much) skill in it.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »
It's the Rule of 48 (all scientists are blind) but applied to proof readers.  It caused Quayle's Potato fiasco too, I've heard.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline LearningTheGame

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
Another question:

Skill bonus = Skill category bonus + skill rank bonus

If i have some ranks in broadsword but no ranks in 1 hand edged category...Do i get a -15 from no ranks in the skill category?

It makes no sense, I know how to use a broadsword but if i dont know too how to use a longsword and a scimitar I get a penalty...

Is this right?

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
Skill bonus = Skill category bonus + skill rank bonus

If i have some ranks in broadsword but no ranks in 1 hand edged category...Do i get a -15 from no ranks in the skill category?

It makes no sense, I know how to use a broadsword but if i dont know too how to use a longsword and a scimitar I get a penalty...

That is how the rules are written, but you are right the setup does not make much sense.

In my game I as houserule move the penalty from category to skill so you never can end in the silly "darn I forgot to buy the category rank when I learned the skill. Zero ranks in the category mean 0 penalty and zero ranks in the skill mean -30, but like i said this is a houserule.
/Pa Staav

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
You can't really train JUST a broad sword. The moment you spend one minute with a blade in hand and a teacher, he shows you how to handle the blade, which is similar to almost any other blade in existence, so if you choose to forgo lesson 101 you WILL be at a disadvantage. Its like trying to set the timer on a VCR (or DVD player) without reading the manual...
Just remember that training should primarily be done by developing the category (its like similar skills development) so you train the category and the skill is actually just a bonus on the category bonus. It is much more efficient to develop general usage and maybe train one rank in the skills you'd like to be good at in the category to get a good initial bonus and when you can develop some more ranks later on, when you start approaching the 30 ranks limit for category development.
Game On!

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »
In other words, you should put at least 1 Rank in the Cat.  ;D
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
You can't really train JUST a broad sword. The moment you spend one minute with a blade in hand and a teacher, he shows you how to handle the blade, which is similar to almost any other blade in existence, so if you choose to forgo lesson 101 you WILL be at a disadvantage. Its like trying to set the timer on a VCR (or DVD player) without reading the manual...
Just remember that training should primarily be done by developing the category (its like similar skills development) so you train the category and the skill is actually just a bonus on the category bonus. It is much more efficient to develop general usage and maybe train one rank in the skills you'd like to be good at in the category to get a good initial bonus and when you can develop some more ranks later on, when you start approaching the 30 ranks limit for category development.

+1.

The above rational does make perfect sense once you get used to it. In fact in all of my playing (since 79) it makes the most sense of any system that I have seen or played.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »
You can't really train JUST a broad sword.
Yet, in RM you can. That is just one of the foibles of a skill-based system, if a player forgets to do something, then they don't get whatever it is they forgot. In this case, a weapon skill where it makes no sense for them to not have picked up.

But, for me, that is just one thing a GM has to deal with and help the players out when they forget, and just let them do a little shuffling of points. (Heck, they aren't actually there in the world with their life on the line, so forgetting is understandable.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
In fact in all of my playing (since 79) it makes the most sense of any system that I have seen or played.

Its such a great system! Its a pity it is so hard to understand by average people. The next best thing was the RM Companion 2 similar skill system. (where you automatically got ranks in the similar skills at a preset rate to the main skill.) But that was even MORE like a degree in accountancy.

Another ok system I've seen were house rules for D&D by a friend of mine. He had devised several training packages, much like RMSS, except he never even heard of that system, but you could spend points on it every lvl, gaining set skills at a certain rate and bonus ranks for gaining it for the first time. It allowed you develop something like a trade or profession without looking back too much. He made the skill gains profitable and you could get some skills that way that were good to have.
Game On!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
In fact in all of my playing (since 79) it makes the most sense of any system that I have seen or played.

Its such a great system! Its a pity it is so hard to understand by average people. The next best thing was the RM Companion 2 similar skill system. (where you automatically got ranks in the similar skills at a preset rate to the main skill.) But that was even MORE like a degree in accountancy.

Another ok system I've seen were house rules for D&D by a friend of mine. He had devised several training packages, much like RMSS, except he never even heard of that system, but you could spend points on it every lvl, gaining set skills at a certain rate and bonus ranks for gaining it for the first time. It allowed you develop something like a trade or profession without looking back too much. He made the skill gains profitable and you could get some skills that way that were good to have.

I agree. Back 83 when I was playing a highly modified version of D&D we had skills with points per level as well as weapon points to distribute. The # of points in the weapon gave you the # of attacks and "level" that you attacked with, with that weapon. I really got to like that system with skill points and weapon points as well as so other great rules that made it so much more than D&D that it is hard for me to even think of it as D&D 1.0.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
Was it just my imagination that there was a rule stating you had to have the same or greater number of ranks in the category as you had in the skill? If so, I guess I have mistakenly thought my houserule was official, go figure.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
Was it just my imagination that there was a rule stating you had to have the same or greater number of ranks in the category as you had in the skill? If so, I guess I have mistakenly thought my houserule was official, go figure.

That's just crazy talk, that never happens to any of us here... :)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

No you do not need the same number of ranks in the category as the skill.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline LearningTheGame

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 05:20:28 AM »
RMC says you can only cancel an action to declare another in your turn.

If A and B have declared attacks on C. During his turn A cancels and decides to attack B. Since is not B's turn yet B cannot cancel to parry A. Is this correct?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
RMC says you can only cancel an action to declare another in your turn.

If A and B have declared attacks on C. During his turn A cancels and decides to attack B. Since is not B's turn yet B cannot cancel to parry A. Is this correct?

Possible.  Depends upon the reflexes, talents, abilities, etc. of B.  Also, he can cancel attacking C and decide to parry both A and C, splitting his bonuses between the two.

Largely, it depends on the GM.  Ask for his input on how he would handle such.  If I were the GM, I would allow B to cancel and instead parry both.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Jacchan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Pentaprisma
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 03:41:42 AM »
A very basic question.
When a Paladin cast Holy strike use 10% activity and attack with 90% of OB, for example... Right?
Sorry for my very bad english...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »
Yes that is how the spell was designed to work.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Jacchan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Pentaprisma
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »
Thanks!  ;D
Sorry for my very bad english...