Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 1436 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Quick question
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
Is it possible for a Giant (10 -12 feet tall) to learn the "Stalk & Hide" skill?  Somehow, the idea of someone that big sneaking around seems hard to imagine.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:24:33 AM »
I'd give them a penalty on the rolls (possibly substantial, and less benefit from cover unless it is very high) but I don't see any reason why they couldn't learn the skill.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »
Maybe it's imperative that they do.
If the Honorable Andre the Giant were sitting behind me at a show, I hope he shows restraint for the applause.  People with very large hands should be careful when clapping..
Someone 10-12ft tall without S&H might be accused of stomping around town, drunk and disorderly, etc just walking around naturally.

Should they have a DR based on size? You betcha. In fact the DR for Ambush vs Size could work. 
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
Certainly!  First, there is the relative nature of stalking or hiding in their own culture, where Andres son Midget, standing only 10' 4", is a sneaky rogue well known for his light fingers and sneaky ways.

Hiding rolls for giants would depend a lot on terrain.  In larger towns/cities, forest, hill country and mountains, a giant could hide. 

Don't forget magic.  A giant ranger would have the arsenal of hiding spells all rangers posses.  Having had giant PC's, I can tell you their mental and magic stat mods aint even good and they lack the higher skill bonuses of normal spell users.  The SL crit makes up for it though.  Our mage fire giant was getting knocked out all the time.  While one rank in body dev was 25 hits, it still cost him 9 dev.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
  IMHO yes but they might/would get a penalty to hiding and stalking. They should be able to learn any skill with the possibility of a bonus or a penalty.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Is it possible for a Giant (10 -12 feet tall) to learn the "Stalk & Hide" skill?  Somehow, the idea of someone that big sneaking around seems hard to imagine.
It's probably what mice think of human beings in a location where everything is at their scale... and ants of mice in a location where everything is at their scale. Does it mean human beings or mice cannot learn the "Stalk & Hide" skill? Or have a penalty doing so?
Or does that just mean a human being would learn the skill normally, but would have a penalty when trying to use it in a location where every hiding spot is at a mouse's scale? You choose~
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.