Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Time Travel
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
The infinite monkeys theory is valid.

In an infinite future, there are an infinite number of people with an infinite number of opinions. If any one of those people has access to backward time travel and wants to talk to you (whoever is reading this) the odds are roughly 100%.

Have you been contacted by the future?

If no, that tends to put a hole in the time travel hypothesis in terms of real life.

The T is multiple dimensions theory (i.e. if all possible Schrodinger's cat's are alive and dead) might make time travel possible, but each interference with the non modified path results in a new reality being formed. (If the 2nd law of thermodynamics still applies, that will take a huge amount of effort).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:59:23 AM by Marc R, Reason: Split off to avoid threadcrapping »
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:17:28 AM »
The T is multiple dimensions theory (i.e. if all possible Schrodinger's cat's are alive and dead) might make time travel possible, but each interference with the non modified path results in a new reality being formed. (If the 2nd law of thermodynamics still applies, that will take a huge amount of effort).

...unless multiple realities were formed by the Big Bang and have been constantly forming and collapsing ever since. If every instance of multiple possible results creates a new reality, and every instance of "extra" possibilities becoming unavailable collapses one, the total mass-energy of the system could remain the same, it's just being moved from one reality to an "adjacent" one.

When the surface between two joined soap bubbles pops, and they turn into a single bubble, the volume of air and the volume of soapy water don't change.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »
Even if one presupposes that all possible realities co exist in parallel, you'd still at least need to be able to hit the energy budget of moving you out of this one and into that one.

And that theory also runs up against the infinite monkeys problem, in that if there is a multiverse, and it is possible to transfer between them, then in an infinity of instances someone at some time would want to get in contact with you specifically, and has not, which also tends toward proving that either said multiverse doesn't exist, or that travel between them is impossible. (If it were merely extraordinarily hard, an infinity of attempts would still result in a probability of 100%)

One could assume our T1 line just by happenstance is the line in which said contact has not ever been made, or in which said contacts have been kept covert, since the infinite monkeys also means that the instances in which that happens are 100% likely also. If so, it's very convenient to the theory that we happen to exist in the "control" group.

Exiting the real world to games, you can presuppose matter transporters, time travel and alternate dimensional travel, but I'll consider those magic, or fantasy, until someone  actually does it where I can see it.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
That assumes that the number of possible combinations is actually infinite, rather than merely a number so large we can't conceive of it. Our own individual reality is so large we have trouble grasping the concept. In any such large but finite system, there are so many possible results that the chances of any given one within a finite time frame (such as a dimensional traveler contacting _____ person within their lifetime) is as near 0% as the chances are near 100% in an infinite one.

It's the same problem being bumped up against in discussions of the Drake Equation. It's like trying to apply thermodynamic laws to the motions of individual atoms, it doesn't work because there are too many variables, the results are too chaotic.

Keep in mind that in this multiplicity of realities there is likewise a multiplicity of "yous" to be contacted. "You" may have been contacted already, only the "you" that was contacted wasn't the "you" that you think of as "you".

Feel free to dribble and mutter incoherently to yourself if you think it will help.  ;D
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
I like the explanation that says, if time travel is possible and it is possible to change the past, then whenever time travel is invented people will use it to change the past until a change is made that prevents time travel from being invented.

Therefore, time travel may be theoretically possible but the actual means to do so will never be invented.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
Even with scrying the past, things could get complicated.
As soon as viewing the past is possible, everyone will want to view important events. This could cause interference and distort the scene.
Viewing the death/life of a little known individual might be clear, but the lives of religious figures, presidents and despots might be murky.

I got this idea from the above mentioned book and I kinda like it.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Whenever someone talks about time travel, the first thing that comes to my mind is this:

OTOH, what if none from the future actually wants to talk with you?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
Odds are, nobody is talking to you because the hawk mullet is scaring them.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
Whenever someone talks about time travel, the first thing that comes to my mind is this:

OTOH, what if none from the future actually wants to talk with you?

LOL.  And from the looks of the picture, the guy evidently wants to go back and undo that hilarious hairdo.

Keep in mind that in this multiplicity of realities there is likewise a multiplicity of "yous" to be contacted. "You" may have been contacted already, only the "you" that was contacted wasn't the "you" that you think of as "you".

Exactly.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »

One could assume our T1 line just by happenstance is the line in which said contact has not ever been made, or in which said contacts have been kept covert, since the infinite monkeys also means that the instances in which that happens are 100% likely also.

If so, it's very convenient to the theory that we happen to exist in the "control" group.

Which is a trope I accept in fiction, fantasy or roleplay, that fantastic stuff is going on but it's on the DL. . . .but if in the real world we are that convenient "control" group that random probability has decreed to remain untampered with by time or dimension travellers. . .I will remain skeptical until an actual dimension or time traveler talks to this me. Proof works in the positive, not in the negative, so the default assumption then is that neither is possible until you can bring the Dr over to my house for tea.

But, in the context of this board, fantasy RPGs, both can lead to great fun, though I tend to find that time travel is a very risky road to take in game, and often leads to combustion.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:51:37 AM »
On the flip side,
There are a few "hard" sci-fi authors who keep to mostly real science with little hand-wavium or space opera.

For some, the only time travel is refer sleep until you reach the destination. Alastair Reynolds, Arthur C. Clark and some Asimov to name a few.
But if I understand correctly, ship time is far different from normal time when approaching c or multiples of c. So everyone else in the universe slows down.

For rpg's, I really liked Traveler 2300's Stutter Warp drive. The ship has a tunneling electron field and kind of teleports a few hundred meters/cycle of the drive. Cycling a few hundred times/second and you can cross vast distances with no velocity, no acceleration, no g and no time travel. It's a clean way to do it.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"