Author Topic: Rolemaster Core Rule Books  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Malatar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster Core Rule Books
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
I've been a huge RM afficianado for years, but my last version was all purchased in the early 1990s.  I've finally convinced a bunch of role-playing friends to stop D&D and try Rolemaster, but I lack copies of the newer books. 

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to purchase the core books (such as ICE 6503) in hardback.  I can't seem to find a game shop that has them in stock...  If anyone is selling them, I'd like to buy at least 3 Spell Laws, 1 Character Law, a couple Arms Laws... (It's very odd to be old enough to have plenty of money to spend on my RPG habit...)

Is a new print run scheduled for any time soon?

Thanks for any help offered.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:53:21 PM by Malatar »

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster Core Rule Books
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:00:40 AM »
This isn't hardback..
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/88654/Rolemaster-Classic-Spell-Law
but you can print a pdf and build a hardback.  ;)

I did find a few copies of Spell Law on Ebay.. but not that edition/printing. 
Good Luck!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
Try Noble Knight Games, they have a lot in stock:

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProdLine.asp_Q_ManufacturerID_E_25_A_CategoryID_E_16
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
I've been a huge RM afficianado for years, but my last version was all purchased in the early 1990s.  I've finally convinced a bunch of role-playing friends to stop D&D and try Rolemaster, but I lack copies of the newer books. 

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to purchase the core books (such as ICE 6503) in hardback.  I can't seem to find a game shop that has them in stock...  If anyone is selling them, I'd like to buy at least 3 Spell Laws, 1 Character Law, a couple Arms Laws... (It's very odd to be old enough to have plenty of money to spend on my RPG habit...)

Is a new print run scheduled for any time soon?

Thanks for any help offered.
ICE is in the process of moving all of their products to Print on Demand and it is taking some time to get the files converted properly for the vender. As was said above you can buy a PDF and take it to your local shop and they might make you a hard bound (some will and some will not as it is copy righted material) or print the pages yourself and have them bound (sometimes same problem as before).

I have my pages printed in sleeves and in a large binder. This was make it easier to copy the pages I needed to for my players PC's. And this is still a good option IMHO while waiting for hardbacks/softbacks to reemerge onto the market.
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Malatar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
Try Noble Knight Games, they have a lot in stock:

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProdLine.asp_Q_ManufacturerID_E_25_A_CategoryID_E_16

Used is fine, but they don't seem to have any hardbacks or Spell Law copies.

ICE is in the process of moving all of their products to Print on Demand and it is taking some time to get the files converted properly for the vender. As was said above you can buy a PDF and take it to your local shop and they might make you a hard bound (some will and some will not as it is copy righted material) or print the pages yourself and have them bound (sometimes same problem as before).

I have my pages printed in sleeves and in a large binder. This was make it easier to copy the pages I needed to for my players PC's. And this is still a good option IMHO while waiting for hardbacks/softbacks to reemerge onto the market.
MDC

I've bought the .pdfs, and they look quite nice, but printing things out locally never seems to produce the quality that purchasing a nice hardback does.  I hope ICE manages to get the books back into print of one form or another soon...  I would think that they would take pre-orders or something so that if they accumulated enough demand it would be worth dashing off a fresh run.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »
I would think that they would take pre-orders or something so that if they accumulated enough demand it would be worth dashing off a fresh run.

Not really! In the future they will be print on demand. So when you buy a book you want a dead tree version of they will print it for you and sent to you once you order it. The first books are already available (http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_0_0_44294_0&manufacturers_id=461) and I guess it is only a matter of time until the other becomes available too.

Offline Malatar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »
Eh, I hope they'll release the books fairly soon...  I'd much rather buy from ICE than pay Staples $30 to print out a Spell Law.  The quality isn't nearly as good as an official print run.  Not to mention it would help support ICE more if I could buy from them directly, which is good for the rebranded Rolemaster in the long run.  I'm sure everyone here would like to see Rolemaster alive and vibrant again...  If you can't buy the official rule books, it's practically impossible for a game system to become quite popular.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
If you can't buy the official rule books, it's practically impossible for a game system to become quite popular.
But RM is so rules-lite you don't need any books!

Sorry, I think my sarcasm switch got stuck in the 'on' position there. :)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Eh, I hope they'll release the books fairly soon...  I'd much rather buy from ICE than pay Staples $30 to print out a Spell Law.  The quality isn't nearly as good as an official print run.  Not to mention it would help support ICE more if I could buy from them directly, which is good for the rebranded Rolemaster in the long run.  I'm sure everyone here would like to see Rolemaster alive and vibrant again...  If you can't buy the official rule books, it's practically impossible for a game system to become quite popular.

On two points I disagree.  I much prefer having the system in PDF because you can load them all onto a single flashdrive and carry them wherever you go.  Also, PDFs allow me to print just the relevant pages for each PC/NPC.  No more having to run to the corner store to make photocopies.  As long as one has access to a computer with Adobe Reader and a printer, you can POD.

Also, the PDFs allow me to construct ring binders dealing with just one particular subject such as:
Critical Law - all critical tables in one binder
Combat Law - all weapon/attack tables in one binder
Profession Law - all professions in one binder
Training Law - all training packages in one binder
Essence Law - all essence based lists in one binder
Channeling Law - all channeling based lists in one binder
etc.

I think you get the picture.

The other point is about Staples costing $30 and having crappy quality.  Try Office Depot.  I can usually get a 200 page doc (double sided) printed for only about $16.  And the print quality is fairly good.  Of course, if I wanted premium quality, it would cost about double that (14 cents per leaf versus 8 cents).

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
Hate to be obvious, but tried eBay?