Author Topic: At what letter should Lethal crits start?  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: At what letter should Lethal crits start?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 05:39:08 AM »
These are the odds for the seperate column crits; not those in RMX where a crit is a +/-20 on a single column.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 04:21:34 AM »
The charts as is, work for me. It's possible to break your arm falling from a horse (B crit) or break your neck slipping on soap in the shower (A crit).
And also possible for it to be much worse. For me an A crit is something that is generally inconveniencing, but if the opponent gets lucky he could hit a vulnerable area and an attack that might bounce off a good solid bone like the femur would have more serious effects if it hits something unprotected. However, if an A crit is fatal, I think it should only be fatal on a 100 roll.

I play mostly SM2 although I have done time in RM as well - but in SM my players have realised that the key to winning a fight there is that the first person to land a stun result, usually wins. Coupled with the fact that stunners land crits quite early on, means they now go armed to the teeth with stun guns and grenades. I'm thinking some scientist somewhere needs to develop a noise-cancelling device that reduces or blocks completely the efect of sonic weapons like stunners and disruptors...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
The charts as is, work for me. It's possible to break your arm falling from a horse (B crit) or break your neck slipping on soap in the shower (A crit).
And also possible for it to be much worse. For me an A crit is something that is generally inconveniencing, but if the opponent gets lucky he could hit a vulnerable area and an attack that might bounce off a good solid bone like the femur would have more serious effects if it hits something unprotected. However, if an A crit is fatal, I think it should only be fatal on a 100 roll.

I play mostly SM2 although I have done time in RM as well - but in SM my players have realised that the key to winning a fight there is that the first person to land a stun result, usually wins. Coupled with the fact that stunners land crits quite early on, means they now go armed to the teeth with stun guns and grenades. I'm thinking some scientist somewhere needs to develop a noise-cancelling device that reduces or blocks completely the efect of sonic weapons like stunners and disruptors...

In SM:P there are devices that cancel out stunners.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
Knocking people out with an A-00 would be fine with me too. But I don't really understand the reasoning. It does not really help to remove the killing A (and perhaps B) criticals to avoid PCs being damaged beyond repair, because there is still the rest of the critical severities, where the PCs can get killed. From my experience the typical death of a PC occurs when an opponent rolls a lucky (usually open-ended) attack and then an 81-00 for his resulting E critical. The chance that a PC dies from an A-00 is very very low. Removing these killing criticals does not really improve the system IMO. Personally I think we are again debating a fix for something that is not broken in the first place.

Just my 2 cents

Ditto.

I flipped through five crit tables, and four of the five had a lethal result, but only with a 00 roll.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.