Author Topic: Pirates Book?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Pirates Book?
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
How would you rate the usefulness of the 'Pirates' RM book? Does it include combat charts for Black Powder weapons?
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: Pirates Book?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »
I don't know for Pirates, but for black powder tables, you can find some in the RM book 10 million ways to die, attack tables and criticals.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
According to the ICE Webring.

Inside PIRATES you'll find:
• Two fully detailed campaigns: "The Buccaneer" and "The Pirate," set in 1630-1725, the heyday of sea-faring highwaymen.
• Combat rules, maps, ship designs, and "pirate life" notes galore!
• Six adventures and four adventure scenarios for brave pirates of any era.
• Plenty of background color, ideal for GMs and garners, presenting the world of the 1600's from the West Indies to Africa—the favorite hunting grounds of real-life pirates!
• Stats and gaming notes for Rolemaster, Fantasy Hero' and MERP gamers, making PIRATES as easy to use as an adventure module.

I would believe that the combat charts would be included, unfortunately I don't have a copy to confirm.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »
ok, here I go.

First it's for RM/RM2.

There's an optional firearm attack table, an optional firearm/grenade fumble table, an optional shrapnel critical strike table, an optional grenade attack table.

That's for individual combat.

For ship combat there's some basic rules along with a chart for ship weapons, for ship weapon attacks and critical strikes.

My personal feeling is that it is more for Fantasy Heroes than for RM... ( at that time lots of genre books like that from ICE were dual stated for RM and FH )
If you look for just black powder tables, you're better of with 10 Million ways to die. ( RMSS though )

As a side note I checked At Rapier's Point and it contains the same tables for firearm combat.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
ok, here I go.

As a side note I checked At Rapier's Point and it contains the same tables for firearm combat.

Are the tables from 'At Rapier's point' the same as the tables in Pirates or the ones in '10 million ways to die' ? Thanks for the info Thom & Guillaume.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
Firearm combat isn't done well either in this or Outlaw, IMO (I have paper copies of both). I actually redid the firearm tables for Outlaw...they're part of the TS rules conversion I uploaded some time back if anyone's interested.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »
TMWTD is unique.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
Firearms law has charts for all projectile weapons , including muskets.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
Firearms law has charts for all projectile weapons , including muskets.

Does FaL also include charts for cannons & grenades? If not , I'll try to buy one of the others. But thanx anyway.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
Sea Law has cannons, catapults, etc.  FaL might have the grenade attack table...if not, SM does.  So does Black Ops.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
I don't think FAL has a grenade table.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
I checked and no, FaL doesn't have grenade or cannon. But it has a great load of firearms attack and crit tables. And even a fumble table!

Black Ops has grenage, flamethrower, rocket, ... attack tables. No critical though.

For non firearms, big throwing eapons, you can look into Sea Law and Arms Co (RM2) for attack tables. No crits. didn't find anything about cannon specifically.

Anyway, you can get almost all tables in 10 million ways to die.  ;D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »
The crit tables in Sea Law were designed specifically for ships, but it wouldn't be hard to modify them to deal with structures and personnel targets. If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to take a stab at this.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
ok, here I go.

Are the tables from 'At Rapier's point' the same as the tables in Pirates or the ones in '10 million ways to die' ? Thanks for the info Thom & Guillaume.

The tables from At Rapier's Point look the same as the ones in Pirates. They are definitely not the same as the ones in 10 Million ways to die.

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
Thanx for the imput everyone. It'll make deciding what book or PDF to getr easier.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax