Author Topic: Questions about Some Rules - Urgent  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Elder

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Questions about Some Rules - Urgent
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
Thanks you in advance for your attention. I need info regarding these issues and question on rules of RMFRP / RMSS.

1. Spell Mastery skill, for example, to increase damage multiplier of a directed spells (Fire Bolt), is a separate action? It took snap, normal or deliberate so? And it use some percentage activity?

2. Stun Removal skill is a separate action? And it take percentage activity?

3. Spells like stun relief, still require the 10% action for instantaneous spells and they require a separate action phase? They can be cast without penalty while stunned?

4. If a mage take a -50 wound from a critical, for the slash of a sword for example, this penalty is applied even on spell casting and directed spell / area spell / attack spells roll? May be only a part of this penalty because of the pain?

5. A -50 wound from a blade for example, apply also to QUx3 DB bonus? Adrenal Defense? Mental skills?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Questions about Some Rules - Urgent
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
Thanks you in advance for your attention. I need info regarding these issues and question on rules of RMFRP / RMSS.

1. Spell Mastery skill, for example, to increase damage multiplier of a directed spells (Fire Bolt), is a separate action? It took snap, normal or deliberate so? And it use some percentage activity?
IMO it is part of the spell casting.
We handle it that way that, the moment a character receives a stun result, he may make a Stun Removal maneuver for 0% activity which does not count as a separate action. In subsequent rounds, e.g. if the maneuver failed, we have it resolved as a separate action taking 20% activity.
3. Spells like stun relief, still require the 10% action for instantaneous spells and they require a separate action phase? They can be cast without penalty while stunned?
They can be cast without penalty while stunned and require an action just like other spells. We typically resolve these spells during the Snap Action Phase.
4. If a mage take a -50 wound from a critical, for the slash of a sword for example, this penalty is applied even on spell casting and directed spell / area spell / attack spells roll? May be only a part of this penalty because of the pain?
We apply only half of the penalties from wounds for actions that don't involve much movement, e.g. perception or spell casting maneuvers.
5. A -50 wound from a blade for example, apply also to QUx3 DB bonus? Adrenal Defense? Mental skills?
AFAIK the answer is No, No and Yes.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »

Thanks in advance.

3) Yes Stun Removal spells are instants and follow the instant spell rules. As to casting without penalty I think that officially it is cast with the stun spell casting penalty but having said that as a House Rule I have never applied the penalty as it just seems right to me that the spells are simple enough to be cast ignoring the penalty.
4) Yes the penalty is applied to all actions based on the rules in the book.
5) Yes the penalty is applied to all actions based on the rules in the book.

Right now I do not remember the % activity that is required by St Rem and Spell Mast but they should be listed in RMSS/FRP and or in School of Hard Knocks. If no one gives you an official answer PM me and I will get you one.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »
Howdy, Elder.

Spell Mastery: In SoHK, RMFRP, under Power Skills (pg 18) ...to paraphrase "most Power maneuvers require one minute to complete. For every round less than this.. -20 to the maneuver" For a single round it's -100. This gives you a slim chance to Attune to an item in combat, requiring 1 round at -100 penalty.

The key here is 'most'. Now, we don't play it that way for ALL Power skills. For our game, Spell Mastery is considered part of casting the spell (not the spell prep) and requires no extra %Act. We roll for Spell Mastery and then roll for casting. Others may do it differently. We force the rules on Atunement and Power Perception... that's it.

Stun Spells: I also play that this is a spell that is cast without penalty.

Wound Penalty: I also would apply the -50 across the board, to every action. So -50 for casting spells. -50 to OB (before the OB/DB split). -50 to any maneuvers, Static or Moving. I personally don't apply it to subconscious spells. IMHO, What good would it be to cast a subconscious spell with all those penalties. Your head would explode. :o
If you apply it to Quickness, I suggest that it can only negate the bonus from a high Quickness stat.

I hope you get some resolution and have fun!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
Without actually giving an answer, I feel the need to comment:

I find it amazing how different all of our games are. Throughout the decades it seems that Rolemaster GMs and players and have witnessed the evolution of their own games and systems to a point in which I don't actually recognise RAW as RAW any more.

All of these questions posed, in fact all of the questions posed on these forums, I know I could answer within seconds using the house rules and optional rules we have developed, tested and used at least once a week for almost 25 years, but if peopel want answers according to the gospel, I would have to grab my core books and actually take a look  :-\

Just my thoughts

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:55:43 AM »
Yeah, I agree Amethyst Rage. That's why I look up rules when I can, quote the few rules I know and try to be clear about what HR work for my game, at the moment.

RM is the best thing going, IMHO. But I think it's holding itself back with rule contradictions, ambiguity and even it's many incarnations. With that noted, people still have so much fun with the concepts, that some have enjoyed the game for decades. Each group is different, each game unique.

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
I'll grant you that when answering questions for others, it's important to keep the distinction between standard RAW, optional RAW and houserules very sharp and clear.

That said, I consider the blurring of the lines to be mostly a feature rather than a bug. Precisely because RM has so many options, and so many ways to customize that it's nearly impossible to recognize "_____'s game" as RM.... for exactly that reason, RM can be made "your game" to a greater degree than almost anything else. I'm not a game scholar in terms of having played everything ever done, but I'm willing to bet that any other system with the same ability for the GM to personalize his game suffers from the same problems when describing which rules work for what, and why.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
RM is the system we always come back to, anything else is just light relief or because one of us might like the art work or setting of something 'different' once in a while. Of course, a good setting is easy to adapt to RM or SM, given a little time and effort.
I've played all kinds of systems, but I feel that my players and I,  throughout the years, have a sort of empathy with RM. House rules are no longer rules which never came from the RAW, in everyone's mind they are now the RAW and (almost) never disputed. Although today there was some disagreement regarding Spell Mastery and whether or not a spell could be altered to emulate a spell that already existed on another list, or whether the rule stated that no spell could be emulated from the list the spell belongs to. Of course, in such cases most people actually know the rules, but a desperate player will often try to stretch them  ;)

For me, and I could say, my players, RM is our RPG experience and although sometimes we reminisce about the golden days of gaming, we often forget that D&D, Runequest, Traveller or whatever, were the games we actually played back then and RM came a few years later.

Evolution has always been the key to a successful and enjoyable system, D&D proved that with sales, World of Darkness with material, but the evolution of RM is something much more esoteric, something we have made happen ourselves and something that every RM player and GM is extraordinarily proud of to the point (in my case at least) that "if you're doing it different to me you're not getting the best out of it". I can't help myself in answering questions posted about RM with my own interpretation of the rules adn I don't think I'll ever stop...but from now on, I think I need to add a disclaimer to my signature, just in case some readers think I am answering with sterile RAW facts  :)

Long live Rolemaster! or should I say "Long live my Rolemaster!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
Very true. . .I Often quote the RAW at people here, professionally, when indeed my games are far from RAW.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »
I can't help myself in answering questions posted about RM with my own interpretation of the rules adn I don't think I'll ever stop...but from now on, I think I need to add a disclaimer to my signature, just in case some readers think I am answering with sterile RAW facts  :)

On these boards it's almost more important that people who are responding with the RAW state as such, and all other posts assume personal interpretation and personal house rules  (at least for Rolemaster questions).
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com