Author Topic: Shields and Dissipaters  (Read 1090 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shields and Dissipaters
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
1) In the rules a weapons dissipater's can go through any shield. I was thinking about having the dissipater be some how linked to the shields frequency and not be able to just stick you dissipater through someone else's shield.  What do you think?
2) If question #1 is true I was thinking about having a way to analyse a shields frequency and tune your dissipater to that frequency. Now the frequency may shift but the higher tec the shield is the harder it is to determine the shields frequency modulation. What do you think about this idea?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Shields and Dissipaters
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
I think it's fun to have your gun penetrate his shield, but only when grappling.  :)  If you don't like it, though, I see no problem doing it your way.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
Re: Shields and Dissipaters
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
Cannot the shields by this reasoning also vary their frequencies. One ECM task would then be to determine the frequency shifting sequences - the higher the tech the more complex this becomes matched against the increasing computing power of the other vessel.

From memory this happened in the Honor Harrington books while trying to get nuclear detonation missiles through a defending vessels screens. Also in a ST:NG episode where the enemy discovered the frequency of the Enterprises shields which were on a fixed frequency and then tuned all their weapons to this before opening fire.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow