Author Topic: How much can a PC lift?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline JPB

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How much can a PC lift?
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:58:20 PM »
I can't seem to find a table or such in RMSS to show what the most a PC can lift is.  I would assume it would be a Static Man. modified by 3xStr bonus. But then what determines if it is a Light/Medium/Hard/etc...?

The closest thing I've seen is the encumbrance table but that is based on the PC's weight and not Strength (right?).

Thanks.

Offline gunn bros 2

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How much can a PC lift?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 03:15:40 AM »
I can't seem to find a table or such in RMSS to show what the most a PC can lift is.  I would assume it would be a Static Man. modified by 3xStr bonus. But then what determines if it is a Light/Medium/Hard/etc...?

The closest thing I've seen is the encumbrance table but that is based on the PC's weight and not Strength (right?).

Thanks.

yes encumbrance is based on the PC's weight. For how much the PC can lift checkout pages 147-148 weightlifting skill.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:31:51 AM »
This is sorta complicated.

10% of a PC's mass is his weight allowance, i.e. how much he can carry without encumberance. 

So lets say out PC is 200 lbs (90kg in metric).  That means he can carry 20 lbs with no penalties.  For every additional 20 lbs, or fraction of, he suffers a -8 encumberance penalty to all movement mnvs, and his pace will eventually be limited also.

Weight penalty can be off set by St modx3.  So if he has a St mod of +6, he will off set encumberance penalty by +18.  Note: if PC has a negative St mod, assume it is 0 for calculating enc penalty.

So, our PC's weight penalty's look like this;

0-20lbs; -0
21-40lbs; -0
41-60lbs; -0
61-80lbs; -6
81-100lbs; -14
101-120; -22
121-140; -30
141-160; -38
etc

By calculating the enc penalty to -100, you will have the weight were the PC simply cannot move.  The weight lifting skill can allow a PC to move greater weight easier than a straight Stx3 mnv roll (because the skill provides a higher bonus than Stx3 obviously).

It is easy to generate a table that shows weight to St mod for enc if you don't want to calculate it every time.

Also note on the enc table is a limitation to pace based on total enc penalty.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
A table like this should be on the front of every character sheet. It would save a lot of game time..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
yes encumbrance is based on the PC's weight. For how much the PC can lift checkout pages 147-148 weightlifting skill.

Weightlifting description doesn't mention any sort of weights (or X mass is Y minus sort of thing). (ROCO VII pg 33 has a max liftable weight formula example... Is there one in RMSS?).

** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline JPB

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:58:08 PM »
I'd seen the weightlifting skill description but it only stated that it would increase the amount a PC can lift and never mentions how much that actually was.

I like yammahopper's solution...0 movement=maximum lift potential, though an unarmored halfling who is 3' 5" and 60lbs.  with a -8 Strength modifier and +4 Qu bonus would have a pretty miniscule max lift. (Like 18lbs.)

Math:
Base Move=50'-25'(stride mod.)+12'(3xQu mod.)+(-40')Weight penalty*.

*Weight Penalty=-16 Enc. Pen. -24(3xStr mod.)= -40'
<2x to 3x10% of weight  is a -16 Enc. Pen.>

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
Remember, negative St mods are treated as zero.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
We use: Wt (in lbs.) + 2 x St^2.  Negative St is treated as 0.  So, a Halfling can at least lift his own weight (under the assumption that if you can hold your weight on one leg, you can hold twice your weight on both legs).  A 200# Fighter with a +15 St can lift 425 pounds.  He'll still need a good Weight-lifting roll to break the world record (~480 pounds for that weight class).