Author Topic: RMU failing  (Read 621 times)

Offline jasharen

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU failing
« on: September 10, 2023, 10:55:14 PM »
Hello,
I am running a RMU server. I have had the players log in and create characters. Things were working smoothly. Now however after I start the server, it just flashes a cmd prompt and the screen vanishes. Not sure what to do to troubleshoot. So any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU failing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:54:24 AM »
Curious to see what this is as I've never heard of RMU running on servers.

Is this the ERA for RMU?
Could you post a screenshot?

Offline jasharen

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA RMU failing
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 07:58:32 AM »
I don't seem to be able to edit my original post unfortunately. So updating here for clarity.

I am running ERA for RMU. I have a home server that I host Foundry VTT on (http://www.onlinegamingrpg.ca). I decided to set up era.onlinegamingrpg.ca, aside from the fancy url, it is no different than anyone else using ERA. I just run ERA-RMU.exe. The URL just forwards to my IP sending it to port 7777.

When ERA is not running, it just sends an unresolved url message to the user as if it did not exist.

I've been running it this way for a few weeks with no real issues (other than wishing it had a log in), however yesterday after rebooting the server, ERA-RMU no longer successfully runs. I double click on the exe like I have before and the CMD window opens briefly, then closes. Because it closes I have no error to validate.

Offline jasharen

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 08:15:51 AM »
Update: I noticed that all the characters in the RMU character folder were gone. I've re-downloaded the program and reinstalled and now it works fine. Given that all the characters were deleted from the folder I'm wondering if it had a security issue. I've been leaving the server up most of the time for my players, but I am thinking I may stop that.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »
It's really weird that the characters are gone, I'm guessing that's related to your server and not ERA, since there's no part of the application that can delete characters in the current version.
If the application encounters a critical error, it should generate a file named ERA-Support.log, which has information that can help with troubleshooting.

If you want to have an online server running ERA, I've just opened the subscription process for the first users who want to take a shot at it: https://erahome.wordpress.com/2023/09/11/subscriptions-open-for-the-era-online-server/