Author Topic: RMU Atmosperic Craft Skill  (Read 441 times)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Atmosperic Craft Skill
« on: August 20, 2023, 12:53:43 PM »
Today I am working on some basic conversions of Ringworld (Chaosium) skills into RMU. I like to use Ringworld sometimes because stats and skills and professions are laid out very nicely. My goal is to get a basic set of skills for a sci-fi game using RMU. I ran into an issue with the atmospheric craft skill. Looking at the RMU list, I see piloting** as an environmental skill (In+Me). In Ringworld this particular skill (atmospheric craft) is treated as Dexterity + Intelligence.

ATMOSPHERIC CRAFT (Root Skill)
Technical (00%) (Dexterity + Intelligence)
Applied to all vehicles of more than one seat or one-seated vehicles with some storage space whose operation is limited to the atmosphere of a planet, this skill includes flycycles, flying cars, copters, ornithopters, stasis blimps, Known Space airplanes, and hobbyist free balloons.

RMU
Intuition (In) — Intuition is a combination of subconscious thinking, luck, genius, precognition, and the favor of the gods.
Memory (Me) — Memory is the ability to retain what has previously been encountered and learned.
Reasoning (Re) — Reasoning is the ability to take available information and draw logical conclusions.
Quickness (Qu) — Quickness is a measure of speed, reflexes, and conscious reaction time.

Ringworld (RW)
Dexterity (DEX) An explorer's DEX reflects his or her agility, deftness, and quickness.
Intelligence (INT) The INT characteristic reflects an explorer's relative reasoning ability, memory capacity, and mental agility.

I think RMU Qu might equal RW DEX and I think RMU Me or Re might equal RW INT. So my line of thinking is that I need a RMU category with either Qu+Me or Qu+Re. Should I create another category, or am I not looking at this correctly? Maybe I am being too picky.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU Atmosperic Craft Skill
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 12:58:25 PM »
Note that Piloting in RMU is In+Me+Ag. All skills in RMU depend on two stats from their category (In+Me in this case for all Environmental skills) but an additional third stat from the specific skill. In the case of Piloting, that stat is Ag.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 01:02:20 PM »
Wow! I cannot believe that I missed that. Thanks Hurin. I got so focused on the stats column that I didn't even pay attention to the skills column. That solves that skill. Now on to another. :)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 07:01:55 PM »
Cheers!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle