Author Topic: The Serenity  (Read 1895 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Serenity
« on: October 12, 2022, 05:45:49 PM »
As a open hypothetical question: how would you build the Serenity from Firefly?

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Serenity
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 03:11:17 PM »
Wikipedia records the dimensions as, "According to the blueprints, Serenity was laid down in August 2459. The ship is 269 feet (82 m) long bow to stern, with a 170 feet (52 m) beam, and stands 79 feet (24 m) high when landed."

I normally use Felix's old software to construct ships but I don't have it available at the moment so this is a rough take. If we go by those dimensions and not what we perceive by watching the show, then I think the Serenity is basically a cylinder, not counting the port and starboard engine protrusions. I took the radius to be half of the 24m when landed as the radius. I then took the height as the 82m length from bow to stern. Using formulas on the internet, I came up with 37,095.93 cubic meters or cumets. Looking at the Mass Table in Star Strike, it looks like this method shows a Heavy Freighter. I never thought of the Serenity as a Heavy Freighter, so I don't know if we should use the literal method for the ship. I haven't gone any further, since I need to think about it some more. I can't remember how much cargo tonnage the Serenity held on the show, but I don't remember the cargo hold being that big.

Good topic though. I like to think about these types of things.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:18:09 PM »
Using Privateers might be more interesting. We just have to agree on Tech Levels and whether or not the Serenity had FTL drives. I don't think it does, based on what I remember from the TV show. But I have seen other opinions. I always believed all the planets were in the same star system; most likely most being moons of several gas giants. But my wife says I just make up stuff, so who's to say.

It's a toss up for me for either TL 18 Spacefaring Age or TL 19 Starfaring Age. I am leaning to TL 18 because I don't think humanity has sent out slow ships to other star systems.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 10:07:28 AM »
I was just looking at my Star Strike Vessel Compendium to see if there was anything close to the Serenity. The closest I found was in Compendium #3; the Arcane Moriia. It has a 30,000 ton mass and a cargo hold of 50,000 cumets. That ship needs 30 crew members, which is way above what the Serenity has. It also has a 800 ton shuttle/vehicle bay. It is on page 26, if you have that book.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
I normally use Felix's old software to construct ships
What is this?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:38:34 PM »
I was just looking at my Star Strike Vessel Compendium to see if there was anything close to the Serenity. The closest I found was in Compendium #3; the Arcane Moriia. It has a 30,000 ton mass and a cargo hold of 50,000 cumets. That ship needs 30 crew members, which is way above what the Serenity has. It also has a 800 ton shuttle/vehicle bay. It is on page 26, if you have that book.

I may have to get it.  Thanks!

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 01:00:11 PM »
I normally use Felix's old software to construct ships
What is this?
Tom Bont produced several programs in the 90's to help with SM2 things like character creation, streetmaps, vehicle creation, equipment, etc. I have the zip files on a separate drive somewhere. I guess I should put them on website. Someone used to host them a few years back, but I haven't looked for them in a while, since I have them all. I used to use the vehicle maker quite a lot.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »

I may have to get it.  Thanks!
Compedium #1 has a small freighter on page 18, which only requires 5 crew. It has a 205 cumet cargo hold. This looks to me to be what I would think the Serenity might be on the TV show. It's a small freighter called the Sirlaita.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/93636/Vessel-Compendium-1

Offline Wolfwood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 12:42:04 AM »
Using Privateers might be more interesting. We just have to agree on Tech Levels and whether or not the Serenity had FTL drives. I don't think it does, based on what I remember from the TV show. But I have seen other opinions. I always believed all the planets were in the same star system; most likely most being moons of several gas giants. But my wife says I just make up stuff, so who's to say.
They were all in the same system, as unbelievable as that sounds. If I recall correctly, it was about a hundred planets... but it's been a while.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 07:20:30 AM »
They were all in the same system, as unbelievable as that sounds. If I recall correctly, it was about a hundred planets... but it's been a while.
That's kinda the way I remember it. I have all the TV episodes and the movie on DVD (like who has a disk player in their computer any more). I just need to pull them out and hook up my DVD player and re-watch them focusing on all the ship scenes. That may give me a better idea how to create the Serenity based on what I see and not what is written on the various pages of the web.

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 05:44:58 AM »
That's kinda the way I remember it. I have all the TV episodes and the movie on DVD (like who has a disk player in their computer any more). I just need to pull them out and hook up my DVD player and re-watch them focusing on all the ship scenes. That may give me a better idea how to create the Serenity based on what I see and not what is written on the various pages of the web.
Can concur they were all in the same system.  also add that Serenity was not FTL capable.

All of that being said whatever your wife says is correct.