Author Topic: Shadow World  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Cpt Tiberius J. Krik

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shadow World
« on: May 10, 2022, 01:19:35 PM »
I'm reading up on RMC and came across Shadow World. It looks interesting with a fantasy/sci-fi theme and so I'm considering buying it. Aside from fantasy/sci-fi, what can I expect from the setting, what is its genre, and tone? As a gauge, I tend to prefer low fantasy/magic, gritty settings.

Thanks all.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
Re: Shadow World
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »
Here are a few of my thoughts:

https://www.rolemasterblog.com/many-flavors-shadow-world/
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
Here are a few of my thoughts:

https://www.rolemasterblog.com/many-flavors-shadow-world/
Thanks for that. Does sound interesting, but not sure if it is any different to Golarion or Forgotten Realms which also caters for most fantasy themes (i.e. horror, sci-fi/fantasy, high fantasy, etc).

I was hoping it would be more grounded, but, I still might be picking it up.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
There is definitely a more pronounced sci-fi element in Shadow World. You can ignore it of course (I tend to), but much more than in Forgotten Realms I think. Shadow World is also integrated into the ICE Sci-Fi game (Spacemaster) as well, especially in regards to the lore.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 04:49:05 PM »
There is definitely a more pronounced sci-fi element in Shadow World. You can ignore it of course (I tend to), but much more than in Forgotten Realms I think. Shadow World is also integrated into the ICE Sci-Fi game (Spacemaster) as well, especially in regards to the lore.
Just started reading the sample off Drivethru. They're talking about 10 day weeks and how the moons are used to mark the calendar. Yup, this looks like an interesting read.

Might have to hunt down a hard copy.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 12:49:46 AM »
  I've been playing in a SW campaign for a few months. There are more SW books than RM MERPS books, at least 50 or so.

SW is a fantasy world which includes medium tech Alchemy (such as gunpowder) and is connected to SpaceMaster as some of the population is descended from space travelers and there may be examples of rare high tech around, which is easily mistaken for magic.

My GM has all the books (which are currently hard to find or expensive) but our game is on hold until he recovers from a recent stroke.

Gameplay through the scenarios is sort of nostalgic as they were written so long ago and reflect the kind of fantasy storylines of the 1980s and 90s. My group is magic-heavy so we are powering through the modules with relative ease in addition to the light detective work.

Emer is a vast world; far larger than Middle Earth, with far more varied races and cultures. The bad guys are fairly well defined but you also have the usual, mundane corrupt politicians, merchants and bandits to deal with, in addition to the Unlife enemy.

A party will not run out of stuff to do.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 02:06:44 AM »
  I've been playing in a SW campaign for a few months. There are more SW books than RM MERPS books, at least 50 or so.

SW is a fantasy world which includes medium tech Alchemy (such as gunpowder) and is connected to SpaceMaster as some of the population is descended from space travelers and there may be examples of rare high tech around, which is easily mistaken for magic.

My GM has all the books (which are currently hard to find or expensive) but our game is on hold until he recovers from a recent stroke.

Gameplay through the scenarios is sort of nostalgic as they were written so long ago and reflect the kind of fantasy storylines of the 1980s and 90s. My group is magic-heavy so we are powering through the modules with relative ease in addition to the light detective work.

Emer is a vast world; far larger than Middle Earth, with far more varied races and cultures. The bad guys are fairly well defined but you also have the usual, mundane corrupt politicians, merchants and bandits to deal with, in addition to the Unlife enemy.

A party will not run out of stuff to do.
Thank you for the information. Sorry to hear about your friend's stroke. I hope they recover quickly.

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 11:43:08 AM »
Thank you for the information. Sorry to hear about your friend's stroke. I hope they recover quickly.
  Having played dozens of RPGs over the decades, I find RM one of the better thought out systems, albeit a niche game, sadly. None of the game stores in my area have even heard of RM.

My GM's condition is to be expected; I have been gaming since I was 12 years old and I'll be 65 this year. My club has buried a dozen or so members over the decades and I know my gaming days are numbered, that's just a fact I have to deal with as a human.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 12:26:12 PM »
'...my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.'

--Alfred Lord Tennyson, 'Ulysses'
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 12:57:33 PM »
'...my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.'

--Alfred Lord Tennyson, 'Ulysses'
Thanks for sharing that

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 01:56:25 PM »
What do you mean with „grounded“?

Golarion is high-fantasy and high-magic.
SW is Even higher-fantasy and higher-magic.

If you search for something more like Middle-earth … you won‘t be happy with SW.
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu