Forum > Rolemaster

Query: Does any one take directed spell?

(1/4) > >>

EltonJ:
Just wondering if you mages out there practice (take ranks in) directed spell skill.

pastaav:
I cannot imagine any mage bothering to cast a bolt spell if they don't have a reasonable OB. If the spell user does not intends to make bolt attacks the circumstances change.

It is also worth noticing that low-level spells give more oportunity to get ranks on the attacks. This has a nice effect on making the low-powered bolts stay relevant for a larger part of the game when the raw damage potential of the more powerful bolts otherwise would make it a no-brainer to always go for the most powerful spell.

Spectre771:
All the spell user PCs I've made and all of the spell users from my friends have all taken Directed Spells.  It's the equivalent of the OB skill categories for non-spell users.  It's low cost for a spell user anyway so there's really no bad reason to take it.

Jengada:
Ditto this. Not having ranks in Directed Spells is a huge mistake, for anyone using spells that allow DS bonuses.

--- Quote from: Spectre771 on August 12, 2022, 03:27:53 PM ---All the spell user PCs I've made and all of the spell users from my friends have all taken Directed Spells.  It's the equivalent of the OB skill categories for non-spell users.  It's low cost for a spell user anyway so there's really no bad reason to take it.

--- End quote ---

MisterK:
Any spell user that plans to use a telekinetic strike, attack illusion, or elemental targeted spell (even infrequently) just *has* to take the associated directed spell skill. Not doing it is just as if a Fighter was not developing weapon skills.

Of course, you *can* have a spell user that never uses those spells - plenty of those around, from Mentalist to Cleric to Runemage. But if you have the targeted spell and plan to use it ? Put those DPs into the Directed Spell skill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version