Author Topic: GMs! What r the 3 best/most successful modified rules u have added to your game?  (Read 952 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
1) Weapon Specifications (graduated damage and combat abilities for each weapon category eg. free shield bash action)
2) 2d10 initiative (+ 1/5 Ag/Qu mod)
3) Player Reward Coins (XP bonuses and possible skill rank buffs for good roleplaying)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
1 - open ended initiative: d100 +( Temp Me/Qu) with no phases, just fastest acts
2 - locked dev pts at 60 per lvl
3 - Free lists for casters (two for pure/hybrid, one for semi)
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
1 - open ended initiative: d100 +( Temp Me/Qu) with no phases, just fastest acts
2 - locked dev pts at 60 per lvl
3 - Free lists for casters (two for pure/hybrid, one for semi)

Nice! loving the open ended initiative with no phases.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Not tying spell lists and professions to magical realms.
    This differentiates magical realms not by the spell lists they provide but as sources of magical powers (IN RM2, despite being described as sources of power, realms are nothing much more than spell partitioning).
  • Rewriting shield rules, so that using one gives a penalty to OB in exchange for a bigger DB bonus.
    This gives using "smaller" shields a balancing advantage over "bigger" shield (in RM2, it's always better to use the bigger shield possible, despite smaller shields historically more popular over time).
  • Adding accuracy to weapons.
    It's harder to hit a specific location with a two-handed sword than with a dagger.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fate points.  At PC creation GM rolls a D4.  1,2,3 = 1 Fate Point.  4 = 2 Fate Points.

So much time and effort is put into PC creation, a Fate Point was the most welcome addition to the game.  The players love it.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Restructuring the professions to fit my setting, including redoing many skill costs.

Creating "basic training" skill profiles that include culture-based skills. It made PCs more complete and survivable from the beginning.

Pruning the skill lists, including moving from skills from Secondary to Primary.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ahem, after I buy the rights to Eberron.  I'm going to run an Eberron game using RMSS.

Here are my proposed House Rules:
1. Use of Fate points.  We might rename them action points.
2. Changing the Alchemists names to Artificers.  So now there are channeling artificers, essence artificers, and mentalism artificers.
3. Might add more skills.  To reflect the Renaissance setting of Eberron.
4. Magewrights might be Laymen that use some of the Alchemist's baselists.

We might tweak the initiative rules to suit Eberron's tastes in fighting.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
-Luck(Fate) Points
Roll your level as a die type for how many you get.
Use one to reroll any d100 roll.  Use three(original one plus two more) to completely negate the d100 result.
Replenish one by rolling a ‘100’ or for great RP or making the whole table belly chuckle(harder than it sounds).

-Init = d100OE(QU) for Physical Combat / d100OE(Magic Realm Stat = PR/IN/EM) for Spellcasting.
This allows slowpokes the ability to go first more often vs never at all with a 2d10 system.
Break ‘200’/‘300’ and get an extra 50%/100% of the round to act
(Otherwise CEATSII or Sec. By Sec. Init)

-wrapping the Attack Tables
Every thirty points over ‘150’ is a bump in the crit, kind of like the reverse of a Creature Critical Code I/II, etc.
Extra HP is result over ‘150’ divided by 5

Offline AshLands

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
1) Getting rid of professions (too artificial for my taste), skill costs depend on stats, 5 skill specializations (RoCo V) to reflect profession.

2) Getting rid of levels (almost; too artificial), PCs earn 1-15 XP per session to develop skill ranks directly.

3) Luck rolls: a PC may re-roll any roll once (e.g. suffered crits) but loses 3 XP (subtracted from the rewarded ones), saves life but not always.

Despite these rather crude simplifications it still feels like Rolemaster ;)

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • CEATS II for initiative(currently trying to port it into maptool with some other tweaks)
  • Combat styles for RMSS from Combat Companion with my own houserule additions in Guild Companion
  • Combined skill progression for Channeling spell lists with lists by deity(BASiL lists are awesome!), HARP spells for Essence
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson