Author Topic: Does a shield from a spell need to "carried"  (Read 238 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Does a shield from a spell need to "carried"
« on: March 04, 2024, 12:41:35 AM »
It says it creates a force field that functions like a shield, does that also include that it needs to be held? Or is it just that it can't be stacked with a normal shield? In other words can the shield spell be used with two-handed weapons? WHat is the general ruling on this? Thanks.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Does a shield from a spell need to "carried"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 07:18:14 AM »
It does not need to be carried.  AFAICT, such a requirement is never mentioned anywhere.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 08:20:19 AM »
Ok I was just confused about the wording when it says it functions like a normal shield. I think they probably meant in terms of flanking and elemental attacks? I know of at least one other GM who interpreted it as meaning you need to hold in your hand, but I usually don't play that way.

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 11:08:49 AM »
The RMU version specifically says it does not:
2. Shield * – Creates an invisible force shield in front of the caster; it subtracts 25 from up to 3 attacks per round from the caster’s front. This does not occupy a hand, but is not usable with a physical shield (nor does it benefit from the Shield skill).

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 11:41:12 AM »
Likewise RMSS is explicit that it does not take a hand. I think that was always the intent, they just did not think to spell it out in RM2.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 11:43:05 AM »
The RM2's wording is, honestly, very open to interpretation, as it merely says that such a shield "functions as a normal shield". A GM may consider it means it works in all aspects as a normal shield, except that it was created by a spell and is invisible, so, once created, it encumbers as a shield would, including the need to be held.
As far as I'm concerned, it's how I play as a shield that doesn't need to be held, thus may be used with a polearm or a two-handed weapon, is a bit too powerful for a level 2 spell that is omnipresent in spell lists IMO.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 12:16:11 PM »
Yeah, or you could cut down the duration to 1 rnd/lvl. Also keep in mind that they can be dispelled, as opposed to a normal shield.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 12:23:18 PM »
But a normal shield may be broken, even if you're not playing with the breakage rules, as it's a result in some critical tables. An invisible force shield, OTOH? Probably not.
That, and dispelling spells are way rarer than shield spells.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 01:34:26 PM »
I note that the RMU version specifically says it applies to up to 3 attacks per round, while RM2/RMC versions don't add that number. A normal shield can only be used against 1 attacker in a round, so this is a change. Personally I have treated it more like That Other System's "shield" spell and it applies to any melee or missile attacks on the caster in that round.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 01:45:50 PM »
The original wording of the Shield spell is a bit ambiguous, but it is pretty clear that the intent was that it did not occupy a hand.

The change in RMU is indeed a change insofar as RMU now specifies the total number of attacks a Shield can be used against in a round (whereas in previous editions it applied to the attacks from only 1 attacker, though the bonus applied versus all the attacks from that attacker).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle