Author Topic: Spacemaster companion confusion  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spacemaster companion confusion
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
Hi all,

Having come back to gaming after a decade-plus absence, and run a Rolemaster campaign that was a lot of fun, I'm contemplating a Spacemaster campaign. However, I can't seem to find the book I'm looking for, and I don't know why.

I've downloaded the .pdf of the Spacemaster companion II and gotten a hard copy of Companion I, but neither seems to be exactly as I remembered it. Specifically, I remember a chart in one of the spacemaster companions that listed all of the technologies that come standard in various suits of armor. Thus I think AT 20 had radiation shielding, an audio amplifier, etc.... but this doesn't seem to be the case in the books I am looking at (either that or I just can't find it). I also thought someone had introduced stunned maneuvering as a skill from Rolemaster into Spacemaster, but again, I can't find any of that.

Am I going crazy? I really clearly remember a Spacemaster Companion that talked about a bunch of technologies coming standard in different armor types, and a chart that showed which was which. Maybe I am just remembering this wrong...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spacemaster companion confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
Hmm... can it be that there were TWO versions of the Spacemaster Companion? On a website I have found two different listings, one from 1986 for a Spacemaster Companion with the number 9500 and apparently for First Edition Spacemaster; and one from 1990 with the number 9002 and apparently for Second Edition Spacemaster. Is that right?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline DJRJ_AU

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lost & Confused...
    • Surviving Suburbia
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:48:07 AM »
There were three Space Master Companions:

#9500 - Space Master Companion
#9002 - Space Master Companion I
#9004 - Space Master Companion II

The section that you remember with all the armour systems starts on page 70 of Space Master Companion I, and the actual chart is on page 72.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »
Ahhh, thanks, that explains it then.

Unfortunately, I don't see any .pdf of the 2nd edition companion (9002) on the ICE website. If anyone knows where I could get a copy, please let me know, as that book is crucial to the campaign I am hoping to run  :(

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
Ahhh, thanks, that explains it then.

Unfortunately, I don't see any .pdf of the 2nd edition companion (9002) on the ICE website. If anyone knows where I could get a copy, please let me know, as that book is crucial to the campaign I am hoping to run  :(

Yes ICE sells all the PDF's of old products that they can.

Good luck finding the SM-C1; Have friends look in the piles of used game stuff at shops, E-bay and other sites and just being lucky are the best ways I have had in finding older books.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DJRJ_AU

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lost & Confused...
    • Surviving Suburbia
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »
Good luck finding the SM-C1; Have friends look in the piles of used game stuff at shops, E-bay and other sites and just being lucky are the best ways I have had in finding older books.

MDC

One of the funniest moments in our campaign was when 3 out of 4 players pulled out their own copy of SM-C1.  The GM at the time said, "Hey!  Where's my copy?"