Author Topic: New professions  (Read 8138 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New professions
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
For whatever it's worth...

There are a few RM2 professions whose concept I like but whose actual implementation bothered me, wherewith I altered them to fit my own vision. The RoCoV's Maleficant is one of them. Whilst he's supposed to be a representation of the archetypical voodoo priest, I found him totally differing from that image. Therefore, what I present you thereafter is my own interpretation of the voodoo priest. Though I personally call him a "Maleficant" because I have no use for the RoCoV's profession, because "voodoo priest" or "houngan" would refer to too specific a profession and because "witch doctor" may not match completely what a voodoo priest actually is, I officially endorse the naming of Witch Doctor for this profession!

--> skill costs: same as Animist, save Medical as Lay Healer and Social as Cleric,
--> profession bonus: same as RoCoV's Maleficant,
--> base spell lists:
Reasoning for the skill costs. What I dislike most in the RoCoV's Maleficant is the obviously evil aspect of the profession (I mean, a Necromancer variant) whilst a houngan is first and above all a benevolent profession, acting essentially as a "primitive" priest and healer for his people, one close to nature and spirits. It's why I based him on the Animist, a nature-based "primitive" priest, with Lay Healer and Cleric costs.
Notice that this example mayhap shows best how modular RM2 is to me, allowing tenscores skill configurations made by combining the RoCoII "base" skill modules (categories).

Reasoning for the spell list changes.
  • I'm repeating myself but RoCoV turned the houngan into some kind of evil profession, only versed in black magic, poisons and necromancy whereas he should be a spiritual guide, a healer and a link to traditions, ancestors and nature. Whilst some houngans are also bokors, thus use black magic, and are associated with zombie animation and use in folk magic/folklore, theirs aren't at all of the fantasy RPG kinds --aggressive, living flesh-eating, etc.-- that were made infamous by low-grade American movies. First because such people aren't generally "evil" per se, and use their dark powers to protect their people (i.e. against "enemies" of the community, not in order to gain power or anything); in the zombies' stories I recall, for instance, said zombies were used as workers for the community, working in the fields and all. As such, I found giving houngans the Necromancer's undead list a bit inappropriate (and a bit insulting, truth to be told) so I completely replaced them. Of course, my interpretation may be just as wrong and insulting but...  :P
  • Since some houngans are also bokors and practice black magic, I left my Witch Doctor the only "evil" list I felt appropriate --Chill of Night-- because it works on the spiritual side, dreams.
  • What is a voodoo priest without his talismans, protecting him from... about everything? I couldn't imagine one without, so I left him his Talismans
  • Primitive Healing is a representation of a Witch Doctor's main aspect: healing, of the body but also of the soul. While I mixed many healing lists, I left out the ones that "should" be cast right away (such as Clotting spells) because in my idea, the Witch Doctor is someone to whom you bring the patient. As such, he doesn't heal effects such as stuns, or even bleeding.
  • Whilst cursing through the use of dolls is generally associated to voodoo, it's not specific to voodoo and foremost the by-product of horror movies. However since it's actually present in voodoo folk magic and lore, I felt I should give my Witch Doctor this aspect. I mean, what would be a voodoo priest without his voodoo dolls? ;) Hence Doll Curses
. Most spells may feel very powerful (I mean, unlimited range) but recall the need for the doll to have been created and how the curse is dispelled by destroying the doll.
  • Doll Magic is pretty much born the same way, from the image of creatures (or people) being in fact magical dolls. Notice that, once again, it's not an art unique to voodoo and, for instance, common under other forms in Asia --Japanese shikigami are similar to "dolls" in their use. In my list, I didn't expressly write that a Witch Doctor could also summon a spirit to inhabit a doll and take a human form but I personally allow it, with the human being possibly a physical duplicate of a specific person. However such a doll doesn't have any magical powers, nor true skill; at best, it can fight as well as a fighter of the same level.
  • The last list may come as a surprise because pendula are usually associated with western magic. However, since it's a very easy item and since stories of primitive priests using hypnosis and items to perform it is not unheard it, I felt the idea of a Witch Doctor using an item similar to a pendulum (such as a magical stone/jewel attached to a string) right enough to be used. Of course, most of the spells I put in Pendulum Magic are based on the folk lore associated with the instrument, but I also had to use my mind and find other appropriate spells "to fill in the blanks".

Anyway, there. I hope you'll like it.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 12:23:40 PM »
No suggestions for a naval armsmaster?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
Increase armor costs and take a look at the spell lists in the RMSS/FRP Mentalism Comp that deal with the ocean. I think there are also some lists in the SUC but I have not taken a look at those in a while.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »
No ocean in my world (well, not one on which one could sail, at least), and seas are way too rare and small for such a profession to make sense.

Also, I only have 3 custom professions left (heh, I posted 6 already~): a custom version of RoCoIII's Moon Mage, the Range Support Mage (a war mage whose purpose is to support archers in battles) and the Buffer Mage (a mage who purpose is to increase the effectiveness of his comrades). Any interest in any of them?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:38:25 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 02:03:07 PM »
OLF;
 I would like to see them all especially if they have new spell lists. I am always looking for new ideas on spell lists. Or maybe I should say I am always very keen on others creating spell lists to save me time and effort.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
Or maybe I should say I am always very keen on others creating spell lists to save me time and effort.
^^;;;;;;;
With all the time and effort I put into formatting properly all these professions, I should almost ask whether the Guild Companion team would be interested in me writing them into the Guild. OTOH, since I make use of other people's works (though they are in public domain and I give them credit when due), mayhap not.

Anyway, I'll post more stuff when I have time, then.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
Or maybe I should say I am always very keen on others creating spell lists to save me time and effort.
^^;;;;;;;
With all the time and effort I put into formatting properly all these professions, I should almost ask whether the Guild Companion team would be interested in me writing them into the Guild. OTOH, since I make use of other people's works (though they are in public domain and I give them credit when due), mayhap not.

Anyway, I'll post more stuff when I have time, then.
I would submit them to the guild companion as they are always looking for material and IMO a lot of people could use them and get the idea on how to change professions in RM2/C/X for their game world.
 Also the worst they could say is no.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »
 Once again thanks for the spell lists I will look them over when I have the time.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »
Olf, no large bodies of water..?

Darksun?
Arakis ' Dune...
Space station...
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
Olf, no large bodies of water..?

Darksun?
Arakis ' Dune...
Space station...
Not anything like that. Gwathyr is essentially a set of desert islands, floating and sandwiched between an Ocean of Chaos and a stormy Ocean of Magical Energies. The sky is made of whirling energy streams of different colours flowing, the cycle of water doesn't exist and drinkable water is formed by stability or magic whereas rain is a lethal bringer of magical unbalance and instability that corrupts and destroy, affecting even the soul and mind, food is scarce and magic is omnipresent. So whatever seas that exist are interior seas and in fact more like big lakes; most are also subterranean since it's where water forms.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:21:16 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »
Okay, here we go...
Here are some generic "professions" and their primary skill costs.
I'm posting a link to a pdf.
Check it out and I'd be happy if you could make some comments as well. Maybe some costs are to hig or to low? It's a lot of numbers to keep track of and it tends to make me blind to my own misstakes.

https://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/utdelat/b381766/Public/RMCProfessions.pdf

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »
this looks pretty great Thrudonly beef I have is that you have included pure and semi arcane professions. Other than that it looks good. It's a nice system you have thought up.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »
Thanks.  ;D
I used Irregular realms as inspiration.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 05:12:12 AM »
I have added costs for secondary skills as well now.
Please take a look and comment on it.
If you feel some skill costs should be revised I'd be glad to take it into consideration.

https://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/utdelat/b381766/Public/RMCProfessions.pdf

Offline StrongInTheArm

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 06:51:18 AM »
Hey, thrud. Great job!
I was planning to do it myself but got trapped trying to figure out how to build a semi-caster template (like the semi-psi in SM:P) so number of professions can be "reduced" further (theoretical reduction since it will be just a mechanism to create more "professions", as OLF pointed out in the other thread).
Just a question:
Did you use the RMSS to RMC conversion guidelines from the Vault or just worked out your own system?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:57:33 AM by StrongInTheArm »

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 09:14:05 AM »
It seems to me Thrud that whereas the various essence semi spell users have slightly higher skill costs than mentalism and channeling, as they use to, you have not increased the cost on runes and attunement for non essence realm users. This I consider problematic as the reduced cost in runes and attunement were the one advantage essence semi users had, besides access to essence, that the others did not. Also I would tweak the primary weapon cost for essence/arms to 2/7 to make it different from the essence/subterfuge and making it more equal with the other semi/arms when using combat companion. The 3/5 bracket is a worse one than 2/7 even if the 2/7 adds up to 9 dpts and 3/5 only to 8. I like the touch that essence semi get a slightly lower cost on spell mastery and though I can see that there is not much room to work with I think that maybe you could lower the lore-magical cost foressence users when compared to channeling and mentalism semi users.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2009, 02:56:05 AM »
StrongInTheArm> I used Irregular realms for inspiration, ripped of most of the skill costs from existing (mostly core) professions, filled in the blanks on my own and then I adjusted the cost if I found something out of place.

Nders>Good catch. I did some minor adjustments as you sugested. I raised the cost on Attunement for Channeling/Discipline. The wepon cost for Essence/Arms is a tough one. Looking at combat styles creation in CC I see your point.
I would assume a lot of people will go for rapid skill development in their primary weapon if they play this class. Changing it to 2/7 is no big deal.

If one takes it a step further and allow the player to adjust his/her skill costs by a total of (lets pick a number?) 5, it will allow a certain amount of freedom to make a unique pc.
Option 1. Allow the player to raise skill costs as well (max 5 pts) to recieve extra points for lowering other skill costs.
Again using Irregular realms for inspiration. I hope no-one minds.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:04:31 AM by thrud »

Offline Pit Ote

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2009, 04:05:45 AM »
Interesting professions and point of view. Olf, Thanx and written down the profs and spell lists, this is the kind of contribution that I like.   :)

I grow so tired when people start tossing about words like overpowered and such.
It would have to be some pretty awful unbalances to break the game.
I even believe in "The Unbalance and The Overpowering". It's an important part of RPG games.
Very useful the generic prof table too. I think I'll make good use of it.

...or that the atomic bomb is unbalanced compared to the conventional missiles and shouldn't exist.
Maybe shouldn't exist...

.....unbalanced ......overpowered ......chaotic ......

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »
I have another pdf for you to look at.  ;D
How to modify skill costs for my generic professions posted earlier.
Just a proposal and I always like to hear what you think about it.
https://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/utdelat/b381766/Public/CostVsPts.pdf

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2009, 07:18:21 AM »
I need some explenation to go along with that pdf if I amto make complete sense of it