Author Topic: How to resolve RMC Elfs -20 SD stat?  (Read 7356 times)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
Re: How to resolve RMC Elfs -20 SD stat?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
Well in my world "elves" are more like Michael Moorcocks Melniboneans. Try not to attract their attention :evil2:
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »
Skaran, are the Sorcerer Rooster Kings of Chickenhawk isle NPC's?

I do love the setting... an the fact that no one else really matters to them could be viewed as a SD issue.
They just don't care. Maybe the Elven SD penalty is just when dealing with other races.

Is it just me or are Drow patterned after them?

General Question:
What is the baseline anyway? If it's Human, then why have +/- for Humans?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 03:25:21 PM »
Currently the humans only have nightmarish tales, but they are still out there somewhere.

Certainly seems to be some influence on Drow, but I know which I'd put my money on (from a safe distance of course).

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »
If anyone is interested I have just posted some of my game notes regarding my worlds version of elves in the Fan Created Worlds section under the Karnorthe heading.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
Now having unveiled my nasty elves I wonder what I can do with the dwarves?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
Now having unveiled my nasty elves I wonder what I can do with the dwarves?
Nothing: they already have a base rate penalty for size! ;D

Or give them Ambush skill bonus ranks for always "striking under the belt"! ;)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
Dwarves? Give them shotguns.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
Then they can hunt wabbits.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
No, then they hunt ELVES.  No good stinking worthless elves, to extiction, until some lame GM makes yet another storyline about how the existence of the elves is necessary for the survival of the world because of blah blah blah. 

Rail-roading GM's.  Hates them.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 02:46:26 AM »
No, then they hunt ELVES.  No good stinking worthless elves, to extiction, until some lame GM makes yet another storyline about how the existence of the elves is necessary for the survival of the world because of blah blah blah. 

Rail-roading GM's.  Hates them.

This would even solve the -20 to SD problem!  ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
I guess it works.
Q: "How did you resolve the Elves -20 SD Stats?"
A: "I killed them all in my world."
 ;D
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
So, Dwarves hunt Elves with shotguns! ;D
The basis of this hatred has alot to do with the -20 SD...hmm.
Something is brewing..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 03:18:12 AM »
So, Dwarves hunt Elves with shotguns! ;D
The basis of this hatred has alot to do with the -20 SD...hmm.
Something is brewing..

"We knew we were not supposed to touch their beards, but they're so soft and silky, we just couldn't help it!"
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline damilano

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • No, the REDS are tens.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
Leave it to an elf to bring a knife to a gunfight.
What do you mean, you didn't buy the Perception skill?

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
So I am one of the new profession in RM, the Necroposter, lol.

My take on elves, is -20 is appropriate, and frankly there should be more penalties. I would say like -90% to experience gained for one.
But for gameplay in the past I actually did a -20% experience for elves. I don't think enough is done to cover the negative aspects of elves, always glorifying their good ones.

I think a huge factor in elves, is that most non-elves would dislike elves, and rightfully so. They're arrogant, self-centered, closed-minded, condescending, see things of other races as trivial, and extremely racist. Time would almost be meaningless to them. You know how you feel when you're waiting on someone who is always late to go to the movies? Imagine that kinda thing x100 with an elf
I don't see them as chaotic good as d&d would put them, more of CN, only being CG to other elves. Some would be very militant, and have a skewed morality in comparison to other races. I see an elf being capable of killing off a human to save a tree (that there's a whole forest full of.) I personally see that as an evil act, but in the mind of an elf, that wouldn't. And when other humans (or even dwarves, halflings) find out a person is dead over a common tree?

Now ofcourse there are individual elves that would not be exactly like that, just as there are evil humans, dwarves, etc

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
So I am one of the new profession in RM, the Necroposter, lol.

My take on elves, is -20 is appropriate, and frankly there should be more penalties. I would say like -90% to experience gained for one.
But for gameplay in the past I actually did a -20% experience for elves. I don't think enough is done to cover the negative aspects of elves, always glorifying their good ones.

I think a huge factor in elves, is that most non-elves would dislike elves, and rightfully so. They're arrogant, self-centered, closed-minded, condescending, see things of other races as trivial, and extremely racist. Time would almost be meaningless to them. You know how you feel when you're waiting on someone who is always late to go to the movies? Imagine that kinda thing x100 with an elf
I don't see them as chaotic good as d&d would put them, more of CN, only being CG to other elves. Some would be very militant, and have a skewed morality in comparison to other races. I see an elf being capable of killing off a human to save a tree (that there's a whole forest full of.) I personally see that as an evil act, but in the mind of an elf, that wouldn't. And when other humans (or even dwarves, halflings) find out a person is dead over a common tree?

Now ofcourse there are individual elves that would not be exactly like that, just as there are evil humans, dwarves, etc
;D :-X ;D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »
I think the ultimate trick is like I did.  I simply converted the SD modifier to a +20, then gave them the "Distraction" flaw.  For Wood Elves, it was the -15 flaw; for Grey and Fair, it was the -20 flaw; for High Elves, it was only a -10 flaw, since they have the capability to focus better than the other Elves due to craftsmanship and knowledge of craftworks.

Easily Distracted - This flaw indicates a person who is easily distracted by other things, even when trying to focus.  A beautiful flutterby floats by and catches your entire attention.  Distractions can literally be anything such as a beautiful panorama (why am I fighting when this view is so beautiful), an animal darting by (WTH, rabbits ain't supposed to be here), a subtle sound (a warbler bird singing ten miles away), a malodorous stench (man, who lit the SBD), etc.  The level of this flaw determines how easily one is distracted.  For the base Flaw at -5 BOPnts, you have a +/- 10 to all actions due to distractions.  For each -5 BOPnts, the modifier is increased by 10.  For example, for the -15 BOPnts flaw, the modifier would be +/- 30.

Does this offer any help?

Sorry I have not rewritten the flaw since I invented it way back in 1985.  At least the file Date/Time Stamp indicated 1985.  Had to dig it out of the 60+ CDs/DVDs I have of backed up information from my old world of Udava.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:06 AM »
Lord Miller, you have described the epitome of ADHD thinkers.

But it's really not all bad at all. We also have the ability to Hyper-focus! Something most average thinkers can't do. After my DSM4, the Doc suggested Air Traffic Controller or Military Sniper as good career paths! ;)
Elves could focus on each and every shot, blocking out the entire world. Or sacrifice eating, family, whatever just to get a song perfect on the flute!

A good example of the difference in thinking are hunters as opposed to gatherers. Hyper focus on prey, no time at all for sowing fields and watching crops grow. Hunters worked around 30 hrs /wk. Gathers can work that in 3 days!

That is how I think of Elves. ;D

You are so correct.  I have two children with ADHD and they do remind me of RM elves.  Talking to them or getting them to stay on task is such a chore, but there are times where they become so fixated on something (usually the wrong thing) that they can't let it go even for their own good.  They aren't able to move on to the next task.  It's frustrating.  I would love if they would "fixate" on schoolwork from time to time, maybe some good grades?

For RMC2 elves, the our players would roll on the Background Options table and hope for the +## to SD stat.  Coupled with what I've said in other threads, it is because THIS particular elf had a +15 to SD, he went out in the adventuring world and did well for himself.  As in the human realm, there is something that sets this PC apart from the NPCs in his village.  He has +20 STR, or 58 DP, or four Potential Stats at 94+.  He is a standout and has survivability.  The elf who was lucky enough to snag a +10 or +15 to SD (or +25!!) bonus was suited to leave the Sylvan hideaway and to venture forth.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 01:13:54 AM »
And what is all this about elves being good? Does no one remember the kinslaying? I'd say a loss of self discipline there!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:57 AM »
Depends upon whether you have the "kinslaying" in your history...

On my world of Udava, there never was a "kinslaying."

On my world of Onaviu, the "kinslaying" was NOT a kinslaying, but rather a "parting of ways."  Or, better, a "parting of philosophy."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.