Author Topic: [Spacemaster2] Mecha based Sci-Fi games?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
[Spacemaster2] Mecha based Sci-Fi games?
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
Have anyone played/GMed a Mecha based SM2 game? If so , did you use a setting based on a property from comics/anime or another system? How did you work Mecha combat in your game? I'm thinking of creating a Mecha based setting for SM2 or having Mecha in my Cyberspace setting or convert Heavy Gear to SM2.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: [Spacemaster2] Mecha based Sci-Fi games?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
 The SM2 setting has Mecha in it, you can find the rules in SM2 Armored Assault [AA].

I was in the process of creating a setting that combined the rules from BattleTec and SM:P but out group decided to go in a different direction. IMO combining the two would not be that hard as the CBT:RPG is almost a D10 based game, skills, backgrounds, life paths etc; should be easy to map to SM. The biggest problem I saw was that in CBT the mass of Mechs and starships is a lot less than in SM. One way to deal with that was to cut the mass of components and just say that it was do to new tech. This method was also shown in the AA vehicle book for a Mech that was described as in the employ of Imperial Special Ops.

Hope that helps.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Gallowglacht

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
Or keep SM weights. The mass of Battlemechs is way to small for their size in my opinion.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »
Or keep SM weights. The mass of Battlemechs is way to small for their size in my opinion.

If I remember right that max is 1000 tons for a MIRC in Armored Assault. I might also place a limit of the max size of a weapon on a MIRC based on its size. To me it just does not seem right that a 1000T ship can mount a weapon MK 50 as a space battleship. I do not have a rule written up but I was thinking of a max amount of weapons =mass/5 or something like that as well as no weapon larger than mass/2.5.

But what ever works for you is fine. As I probably said before I really like AA and SS and the PDF's in the store are a great add to my physical copies. Also the AA unit book and SS unit books are fairly cheep for what you get.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.