Author Topic: 2 Monstrous Questions  (Read 3445 times)

Offline docem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
2 Monstrous Questions
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »
2 questions regarding Monsters AFG

1]   Lycanthrope example of a 1st level fighter [maxed to 4th in hybrid form] has hits 130.
Broken down to [human bonus of 30] + [max 4th level ranks = 15 = 60] + Con/Sd [12] = 102
I seem to be missing 25-30 depending on rounding.
2]   Zombies & Skeletons have ranks in Perception yet the Mindless undead description states that they may not have ranks or bonuses for mental attributes. Is this an innate exception?

Help!
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, he said, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY. 
[Death addresses his new apprentice (Terry Pratchett, Mort)]

Offline docem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 2 Monstrous Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »
hmm
I just noticed the Table 9.1 at the back of the book with 50 hits as the base bonus for human sized monsters.
With that I assume the lycan would get an extra +20 endurance bonus in hybrid form as well as the maxed endurance ranks as +3 levels. This would explain the extra hits...

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:28:40 AM »
2]   Zombies & Skeletons have ranks in Perception yet the Mindless undead description states that they may not have ranks or bonuses for mental attributes. Is this an innate exception?

Help!

Hey, they may be mindless, but they aren't stupid! :D

Seriously though, even though they are considered mindless, they must still be able to perceive their surroundings...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:40 AM »
1]   Lycanthrope example of a 1st level fighter [maxed to 4th in hybrid form] has hits 130.
Broken down to [human bonus of 30] + [max 4th level ranks = 15 = 60] + Con/Sd [12] = 102
I seem to be missing 25-30 depending on rounding.

That would be because the example given is a 4th level character, not a first, and is not ramped up "an extra 3 levels". The stats given are as for a were-beast of 4th level, minus any stat bonuses from the were-beast type.

It is also missing the ramping up of 3 levels. It was ICE's intention to remove that part, but apparently we were once again hit by same problem that hit a number of products back around that time. Back then we would often make changes and/or cuts in Word only to see them back in the manuscript once they had been PDF'd. Once the initial PDF was made, we would be more focused on typos and layout issues, and not on the actual content (which we had already done).

2]   Zombies & Skeletons have ranks in Perception yet the Mindless undead description states that they may not have ranks or bonuses for mental attributes. Is this an innate exception?

Notice that the last sentence of the paragraph about mindless undead is the one that states that they cannot have the ranks or bonuses for mental attributes.

Sigh.... It was another sentence meant to be cut. The Undead all have stat bonuses, include mental ones, and skills. At its simplest definition, mindless means they have no intellect to guide themselves, that they will act on instinct. They can and do have stat bonuses. They have perception, which is something that even animals develop. They cannot learn Lore skills or things like that, but they can always see.  ;D

Offline docem

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
Thanks! - the zombie answer makes perfect [logical] sense.

The lycan stat box seems to include the +4str / +2 qui / tough hide / maxed out skills for attack, ambush, stalk, track. This all matches the statement on page 44 under Combat that the statistics were based on a 1st level human fighter [ramped up to 4th in hybrid form]. Once you include a base 50 hits rather than 30 it all calculates out nicely. it seems the example used the Were creatures base end+50 rather than human base end+30, in which case the +20 hits just needs to be added to the features of the Lycan. Even if you base the template on a 4th fighter [maxed out end ranks at 7th in hybrid form] you have +12 [stats] +30 [human] +74 [ranks] = 115/120 [rounding] so its still 'out'.  ;D

anyways thanks for the explanation
cheers!

Offline Mormegil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »
Seriously though, even though they are considered mindless, they must still be able to perceive their surroundings...

So true. If they didn't have perception then how could they smell the tasty, tasty brains?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »
MMMMmmmmm........... Donu.....err.... Brains.........

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:20:26 PM »
MMMMmmmmm........... Donu.....err.... Brains.........
OT I know, but wasnt that the Simpsons episode that Marge broke her leg, Lisa was looking after the house and covered Homer and Bart in green oatmeal to make them think they had leprosy - which is treated by being tidy? Homer and Barts solution - go to Flanders house and start chanting "Brains.... through their mailslot....

I was wondering how someone could work that in to a post!
 :D

Yes, I know that I have watched FAR too much Simpsons....
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com