Author Topic: 3000 - HARP Rulebook - Errata  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
3000 - HARP Rulebook - Errata
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »
Topic for HARP Rulebook Errata
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Re: 3000 - HARP Rulebook - Errata
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
[errata=
½ Round Actions]

Where: Page 60, 84 HARP

Problem:   Some actions seem to take either not enough time (or no time) or too much time to accomplish?

Answer:   The Press & Melee allows for moving up to 5’ and still attacking. Taking an Herb (as described at the bottom of the table on page 60) and Drawing a weapon (listed on the inline table on page 84) now can be done in place of the moving 5’ when using the Press & Melee action. They no longer take the amount of time as listed in the book. (11Oct2004)

[/errata]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:46:18 PM by ob1knorrb »
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »
[errata=
Armor Skill Penalty - Monsters]
Where: Page 30, 88 HARP

Problem: I am just wondering how the armor skill penalty works. In the example set on page 88 they are talking about Jax: "Later in his career, Jax can afford a set of plate/chain armor, with a max maneuver penalty of -80 and a min penalty of -15, which would require 13 ranks of armor skill to wear effectively (80-15+65)".
On page 30 in table 6.2 it says that 13 ranks = +56. What is correct??
Another question: does the skill armor let you add your st/ag to the bonus? or is it only used flat with a +5 bonus/rank???
How does the penalty affect the character/monster?. Because if you get -5 in minimum maneuver penalty when wearing rigid leather, how does it come that the penalty isn't present for monsters wearing armor?
Goblins are wearing rigid leather min. man. pen. -5, the skills Ambush +30, stalk & hide +30 both have Ag as stat and 4 ranks= +20 +10 stats. Does the penalty to the skill affect ob as well?

Answer:   This is one of those instances where something got changed in the second printing, and the given example about it was missed, IIRC.
Change the number to be requires 18 ranks, and later on since he has 7 ranks, he will need 11 more ranks. The example is also not counting ANY stat bonuses that may apply. (11Nov2004)

Problem:   How does the penalty affect the character/monster? Because if you get -5 in minimum maneuver penalty when wearing rigid leather, how does it come that the penalty isn't present for monsters wearing armor?
Goblins are wearing rigid leather min. man. pen. -5, the skills Ambush +30, stalk & hide +30 both have Ag as stat and 4 ranks= +20 +10 stats. Does the penalty to the skill affect ob as well?

Answer:   The armor penalty (and the bonus for the Armor skill) apply to all maneuvers that have Agility or Quickness as a stat and to DB. A Maneuver is defined as something that requires a dice roll to resolve (thus the Armor penalty does not apply to the armor skill itself, as no roll is involved, but it does apply to combat skills and to DB).
As for the monsters, all I can say is oopsie... I spent a very intense period revamping a number of things in HARP thanks to player feedback from the first printing. One of those things was to revamp the monster section to make it more consistent, and in doing that, I forgot to add in the armor mods apparently. Sorry about that, just adjust them according to the armor mods as required. (11Nov2004)

[/errata]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:46:42 PM by ob1knorrb »
Brent Knorr...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
[errata=
Canceling spells]

Where: General

Problem:   I've looked through both HARP main book and the CoM and I can't find anything on canceling a spell early before the duration has expired. To my knowledge most other systems rule that the original caster my cancel their own spells at any time before the duration expires, some require that caster must be within the original casting range of the spell, and some state that it requires a full action while others consider it a zero action.
Considering all of this what are the requirements within HARP for canceling a spell early.
Rulings? or Opinions?

Answer:   
Official Ruling:
If a caster is the target of his own spell (or is controlling a targeted utility spell that does not have a living target -- i.e. a Light spell) that does not require concentration, he may spend one round to dismiss the spell.
Spells cast on living targets other than self may not be dismissed. (i.e. you cast fly on the party Rogue, you cannot then dismiss it later while he is 100' up in the air). This includes attack spells as well.
Spells with a Duration of "-" may not be dismissed.
Concentration spells end when concentration stops.
Spells that have a duration AND require concentration - if the caster stops concentrating, the spell stops, but is not dismissed, the caster may resume concentration within the duration (and continue the spell up to the maximum duration allowed). The caster may also spend one round to dismiss it.
Spells which produce physical effects (i.e. fire wall, icy mist wall, etc.) may be dismissed, however any secondary effects from those spells (such as something catching on fire because of the wall) are not dismissed as they are physical effects.
No rolls are required to dismiss a spell.
A caster may always use the Dispel Magic spell on those spells he cannot dismiss. (03Oct2004)
[/errata]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:46:59 PM by ob1knorrb »
Brent Knorr...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »
[errata=
Combat Styles]

Where: Page 11, 13 HARP

Problem:   About Combat styles, The fighter and warrior mages bonuses. These bonuses don't seem to do any good for a fighter or warrior mage wanting to use a combat style. Is this because the bonuses can only be assigned to weapons. Is this an oversight, or is it to balance out the styles? If so, it doesn't make that much sense, as a Rogue gets a bonus to any skill in any of his favored categories... Or maybe you imply that a character with bonuses to a weapon used in a style gets the bonus to the style as well

Answer:   Theses bonuses have been slightly reworded for the Hardcover and future printings (I guess you could consider it errata). Now, they may put the bonus into a weapon group OR a combat style. All other aspects remain the same.  (03May2004)
[/errata]
Brent Knorr...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
[errata=
Darkness Spell]
Where: Page 125 HARP

Problem:   Utterdark only makes it so that "no non-magical light may exist within the radius" ?!?!
Reading that makes me think that non-magical light can exist in the radius of a Darkness spell which means that there really isn't any darkness.... So basically a darkness spell only generates and effect when it is, well, dark!
I always took magical darkness to absorb all non-magical light (creating normal darkness - dark vision can still be used to see) and Utterdark to create a magical darkness that can only be dispelled by magical light (with a larger number of PPs invested) or counter spell, etc... Also that dark vision does not work in Utterdark.
Where am I wrong?

Answer:   Actually that is a typo. Under Utterdark, it should read "no magical light may exist within the radius". Remember, it is supposed to be the opposite of the Light spell (which has UtterLight).  (24Nov2004)

[/errata]
Brent Knorr...

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »
[errata=
Disarm Foe Example]

Where: Page 36 HARP

Problem:   A result of 121 gives a RR of 130.
On page 36 you have the following text:
"Nynyve is trying to disarm a lizardman.
Her skill bonus with disarm foe is 50, and she rolls a 71, for a total of 121 on the Maneuver Table. This means that the lizardman must make a roll adding in his OB, and that the total must be equal to or higher than 105 or he has been disarmed."
Shouldn't it be 130 instead of 105?
In addition, this makes it 50% likely for two equal fighters to disarm each other if they have the same skill bonus. Isn't this just a BIT easy?
It was probably balanced with the old RR table, but the new one has much higher RR's, and the skill wasn't altered after the revision. Suggestions for balancing this skill with the new RR table?

Answer:   Yes, it should be 130 - an example that was missed in the updating.
Actually, with the old RR table, it was too easy to resist the disarm. The purpose of the table revision WAS to make two opposing skills with approximately the same number of skill ranks (i.e. skill rank bonus) be about 50% likely to be able to resist one another. That WAS part of the redesign of that column.  (11Oct2004)
[/errata]
Brent Knorr...