Author Topic: 2 quick questions  (Read 3131 times)

Offline nick

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
2 quick questions
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:37:15 AM »
Hey,
2 quick questions.

Firewall (and other elem. Walls): i think i remember solid ground is needed to place an elemental wall. a mage in my group wanted to block a (large) tunnel, and wanted to place 4 firewalls, 1 on the ground, 2 on the walls(burning to the inside) and 1 on the top (burning down).
what do u think, possible?

Change object size: does the weight of the object change?

thx for any input.

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 2 quick questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:23:11 AM »
Without any real experience with HARP I would say that Firewalls need to lay on a solid ground. So, you can't place a Firewall at the ceiling that would essentially burn down or to walls where fire would essentially burn sideways. Yes, I know it's magic but still. On the other hand I don't know if it is possible to modify spells in HARP, if so then maybe that would do the trick.

I don't think that changing the size of the object would change it's weight (so, in a sense it's density grows  :o).

All of the above opinions are based on years of playing Classical Rolemaster even if it has been a while...

I hope it helps.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »
The caster is basically trying to build a "box" out of Firewalls... I think that is beyond the scope and intent of the spell.
As mentioned before, the Wall needs to rest upon a solid object, so ceilings and walls are out of the question....

...in my game anyway ;D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
The force wall description read that it has to "rest on a solid surface" which I would read as "the surface has to be at the bottom of the wall" - okay, not clear enough in a player's way of thinking - it stands on the ground not on the ceiling! I think there is a difference between resting on something and having contact with something. So I wouldn't allow his plan for the walls.

As for the changing spell, I think there is no change in weight which would bring in a lot more things to think about, density as mentioned, breathing, gravity, etc.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »
"Increase size (per additional 10'x10'x1' section) +3 PP"

What does this mean?

2 sections = 20' wide 10' high 1' thick only? Or 10' wide 10' high 2' thick? 10'wide 20' high 1' thick? Isn't it possible to use more magical power (PPts) to increase the height of the flames? (remember BBQ and grain alcohol oO)

COS: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=5698.0

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:06:35 AM »
IMO a magic wall would need ground on which to stand however, if the caster did cast 4 fire walls creating a box (1 north, 1 south, 1 east, 1 west) where the edges joined, I would allow the caster to cast a fifth fire wall "ceiling" thereby creating a box. BUT if a wall failed (say due to time expiration) I would rule that the ceiling would collapse passing over anyone inside the box doing the appropriate damage.

I may allow the "ceiling" to be supported by three walls but I'd have to think about it.

What does this mean?

2 sections = 20' wide 10' high 1' thick only? Or 10' wide 10' high 2' thick? 10'wide 20' high 1' thick? Isn't it possible to use more magical power (PPts) to increase the height of the flames? (remember BBQ and grain alcohol oO)

I would allow the caster to determine where the additional section joined the original. So it could become either:
A 20" wide wall that is 10" high and 1' thick
A 10" wide wall that is 20" high and 1' thick
A 10" wide wall that is 10" high and 2' thick.

While 2' thick doesn't sound overly impressive, I would think that if a creature charged through it would be like going through 2 Fire Walls therefore 2 lots of damage would be rolled. Again that's just my opinion.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:49:57 AM »

What does this mean?

COS: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=5698.0

It adds another 10x10x1 section to the existing wall... length or height. I believe you guys in the above posts are thinking about volume...

The scaling option simply adds another section of wall so that you may make it bigger (longer or taller), but I don't really see allowing more thickness. Thickness can be achieved by layering individual wall spells.

Anyhow, that's the way I read the wording of the description... but I have been known to be wrong... from time to time...  :D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »
I would probably go ahead and let them by making them spend more PP on the ones on the walls, and ven more on the one on the ceiling - or just make them scale it up to cover the area, if they can. No matter what, the scaling would come into play and the modifiers would likely be very prohibitive.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »
Firewall (and other elem. Walls): i think i remember solid ground is needed to place an elemental wall. a mage in my group wanted to block a (large) tunnel, and wanted to place 4 firewalls, 1 on the ground, 2 on the walls(burning to the inside) and 1 on the top (burning down).
what do u think, possible?

Walls have to rest their bottom dimension on a solid surface. A mage doesn't need 4 walls. All he needs to do is to increase the size of the wall (+3PP for each additional 10x10x1 section), and then spend another 3 PP to Shape the wall to fit the tunnel opening.

The problem for the mage is the minus received for each additional PP required, and number of skill ranks required. The only reason I can see for wanting to do it with 4 different walls is to get around those 2 limitations on the spell. (i.e. less chance of failure casting 4 spells versus the casting of a single spell with lots of minuses.

Change object size: does the weight of the object change?

Yes.